Who believed the Millenium Bug?

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Was going through an old box of ledger books the other day and I saw a sticker on the front of one "millenium bug free" - some kind of genius marketing ploy from 1999:laughing7:

I remembered back , my brother filled the bath with water and bought a few hundred cans of beans:tongue3:

As far as I know , no jets fell out of the sky and no countries power stations shut down... I just had a roaring hangover and my brother and his wife ended up having beans every other day for most of 2000 :laughing7:

chub

Ah, those were the good times. I was a software developer back then and then started my own consulting business. My rate went from $55 per hour to around $125 per hour because all of the other software developers were working on the M bug software fixes. Those increased rates lasted for several years. Now software development sucks because the east indians came to this country and would work for $20 per hour. Fortunately I had another Internet business that took up the slack. indians dominate today, even in the director level and above in large firms.

such is the world of outsourcing. IT was the easiest expense item in corporate America to outsource. I know one local huge corporate IT headquarters, about 95% indian and 5% Americans out of 1,000 IT employees at that location. And the indians work and live here in the US. Kind of sucks, because we have competent IT Americans, it is just that they will live with 2-3 families in one home and work for $40,000 per year. In north Atlanta indians are everywhere. We relocated our native indians from north Ga to OK in the 1800's. But I don't think that will happen with our east indian friends.

Corporate america outsourced for three reasons. cheap, cheap, cheap labor overseas and it kept the manufacturing pollution in other countries especially China where they have no pollution controls to speak of.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
There was an unknown risk involved in incomplete date data. Probably billions were spent in fixing the bad date entries. With complex systems, such as the whole USA network no one really knew would happen when year 99 changed to 00.

Around 1980, I was editor of a newsletter of a Mensa local group. I got a new member note that said a person was 5 years old. It turned out to be the 95 year old co-inventor of the ball point pen. The computer did something strange and told us he was 5 years old.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread