Indiana
Detector(s) used
Had: Tesoro Silver Umax.
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Minelab Equinox 600

Have: Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Etrac gets erratic signals even when way out in a field while holding the metal detector in the air. It's like emi but it clears up if I hold the detector still. Once it's in motion the erratic signals start. It will clear up if i turn the sensitivity down to ~8. It randomly does this I can hunt for hours without it happening then the next day it starts and I go back inside then I go back out in one hour its fine. All the while this is happening the auto sensitivity sets itself around 22 and it makes it even worse. The erratic signals always show up around 12-04 with low conductivity around 01-05. I don't know what could cause this.

I thought it was a bad coil but it happens with both of my coils the SEF 5x10 and the original coil. I've tried taking the coil cover off and cleaning it. I thought it may have been a bad battery so I bought an RNB still didn't help. I have my phone turned off so it can't be interfering. Doing a noise cancel has no effect.

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it is not a bad coil it sounds like the connector on the housing side of the coil wire connector. Make sure it is clean, the connection is tight, and the connector isn't damaged if you can.

OP
OP
Dan1033

Dan1033

Jun 10, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Had: Tesoro Silver Umax.
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Minelab Equinox 600

Have: Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cleaned the coil connector that goes into the housing and it hasn't had any erratic signals for two days. I looked at the connector once before and it didn't look dirty only slightly faded. In case anyone else has this problem there is an article on the Minelab site called "A clean machine is a mean machine" that helped me. I bought this etrac used a few weeks ago I'm glad it was an easy fix. Thanks malenkai.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread