So what's the deal with the 2009 pennies?

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was checking the big pile of coins that keep from our pocket change. I always do before we take it to the bank and get them converted to paper money. Found this 2009 penny with a different back side, some guy sitting on a log reading a book. Now I see where there were at least 4 different ones but I never knew or noticed one before last night. I saw something about variations with Lincoln's thumb and fingers. Still looks like a worthless zincoid to me but they might become valuable because they disintegrate so quickly in the ground LOL.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 2009 Bicentennial Series had still had a pretty high mintage so I wouldn't plan on them being worth anything in our life times. Your should hang onto 2009 Nickel and Dime's though as the mintage was low (Still 40 million but that low in comparison to 2008)

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesnt matter if the coins self destruct or are intentionally melted down by our own govt. Only 2 things determine a coins value.... total mintage and collector desire. A huge percentage of gold coins have been melted back down by the mint after the confiscation of 33, but it doesnt matter on values, just how many were initially made.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh I never expected a zincoid coin to be worth anything, most of the ones we find are trash and useless. I was just surprised to even see one

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread