Im going camping this weekend in Sequoia Nat. Park..?

jdandt

Oct 17, 2007
I'm going camping this weekend in Sequoia Nat. Park..?

I have read about MD in National parks and National Forests...is there a difference? I thought I read it's ok in one and not the other. Anyway, I want to do the right thing and obey the law so where can I find these MD rules/laws etc.

By the way its Potwisha campground in Seqouia National Park, 5 miles inside the gate out of Three Rivers, CA.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I'm going camping this weekend in Sequoia Nat. Park..?

No mding in the national park.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I detected at a campground in Stanislaus National Forest years ago, which is not too far from where you're talking about. I got stopped by a ranger who said it was ok to look for modern change/losses, but if I found anything over 50 yrs. old, I would need to turn it in to the rangers station upon my leaving. (my math never was that good durnit :o)

Michigander2005

May 30, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS III , Freedom 3, and GTP 1350

Tom_in_CA said:
I detected at a campground in Stanislaus National Forest years ago, which is not too far from where you're talking about. I got stopped by a ranger who said it was ok to look for modern change/losses, but if I found anything over 50 yrs. old, I would need to turn it in to the rangers station upon my leaving. (my math never was that good durnit :o)

yep I hear that I don't carry a calculator to subtract years :)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA said:
National Forests - Yes, you can metal detect for items less than 50 years old, prospect for gold, and even file a claim in most forests except in specially designated historical areas. Only detecting on designated historical sites will require a permit (don't bother trying - only the pros can get these). Rangers have a very good reputation with being helpful and supportive. Nevertheless, they are also concerned about historic sites, and may even have misunderstandings about sluicing and dredging when it comes to the environment. Always talk to your district ranger before you head out, but don't always accept the first "no" you hear. Here's a quick course in your average federal employee's work ethic (I am one): If they don't know, its just easier for them to say HELL NO!

National Parks and Monuments - Absolutely not! You can't even have a metal detector in the trunk of your car on this land. I've often heard these guys referred to as the "Pull Tab Gestapo." Don't even attempt to ask for written permission. All they need is "the suspicion of" to fine and arrest you. It doesn't matter if you want to hunt a campsite playground or just try to find your wife's cherished wedding ring of twenty years. You can either Write your Congressman (add keywords: "Arbitray and Capricious" or "Unconstitutional") or just thank the idiot who was "night-hawking" in the Shiloh National Battlefield for lighting the fire in the first place!

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

that's correct - stay away!

http://www.sequoia.national-park.com/info.htm

http://sequoia.areaparks.com/parkinfo.html?pid=3776

http://www.americanparknetwork.com/parkinfo/content.asp?catid=75&contenttypeid=19

http://sequoia.areaparks.com/parkinfo.html?pid=3785
• COLLECT THINGS? Not in Parks: Leave everything to play its natural role in the ecosystem. In National Forest: Gathering a few cones or rocks for personal use is permitted. In both areas: Archeological sites & artifacts are protected by law. •DRIVE OFF-ROAD? Not in either area. Stay on roads.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread