Piggy Bank Full Of Silver!

treasurepirate1

Aug 21, 2010
Ontario canada
Detector(s) used
fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long story short, we have five old unopened piggy banks. Three of them have more modern coins and were probably filled around 30 years ago. One has a single 1965 silver 50c piece in it and the final one I looked in is filled with silver and shiny old pennies! We're in Canada and our coins made their current design changes 1936. Noting the later additions of the loonie and toonie. I peeked through the opening and saw a couple silver coins from the 40s and one from 1950, along with a wheat cent. For some reason I always used to find more wheat cents in my change than old Canadian cents. I always found them until 2012 when Canada took all the pennies away from circulation. Anyway we recently found this piggy bank in storage and it's absolutely full of silver! I know what I'm going to do with it already but I'll let you guys discuss what you would do. Some options are to leave it a mystery forever and keep this rare gem in original state, smash it open, stick a knife in and scrape them out, or some other unknown future I might have for this little piggy bank. It measures 5 1/2 inches x 2 1/4. I'll let the suspense of the unknown kick in now!

Attachments

• IMG_4682.JPG
    IMG_4682.JPG
    262.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4683.JPG
    IMG_4683.JPG
    371.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4684.JPG
    IMG_4684.JPG
    369.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4685.JPG
    IMG_4685.JPG
    551.6 KB · Views: 74

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one that has a possible 1916 mercury in it. I am keeping it as I got it just for the thrill. I would auction it off to highest bidder for the fun of seeing where it could go. Or just have a family smashing piggy bank party....

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would try to shake the coins out of the slot, or hold it upside down and use a toothpick to try to position the coins so they would fall out.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you^re a real pirate you^ll plunder the silver!

Force_of_Iron

Aug 19, 2019
Formerly Ohio, now south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a large bank full of coins that my wife was fond of. I got a fine blade hacksaw and cut off one of the legs. After dumping the coins I glued the leg back on and it wasn't noticeable to any degree.

She got the enjoyment of filling it again and I took the money for something I can't remember, beer maybe?

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would do exactly what VTcolonialdigger suggested. Pick the coins out with a toothpick, that way you will know whats in it, and you can put all the coins back into it when your done, preserving the Piggy bank itself. I would also pass it on to my oldest child/Grandchild with a note and inventory of each coin in it. Second option: break it open and keep the silver for yourself !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread