DEMOLITION UNCOVERS 1700s LOG CABIN in PA...
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: DEMOLITION UNCOVERS 1700s LOG CABIN in PA...

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "Bay of the Holy Spirit”
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    66170 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

DEMOLITION UNCOVERS 1700's LOG CABIN in PA...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0f0e7662-2548-4946-80b5-6528625b72e7_750x422.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	1799294

WASHINGTONVILLE, Pa. Borough officials in Washingtonville are cracking down on blighted properties. One of the first to go was a former bar at the corner of Water and Front Streets. It was condemned more than three years ago. Contractors recently started tearing it down and were in for a surprise.

"After our demolition contractor started pulling the outsides of the building off, discovered there was a log cabin in there," said council president Frank Dombroski.

Full Story - https://www.wnep.com/article/news/lo...0-ac380b76c64a
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

us
    Mar 2018
    Todds Point, IL
    4882 times
    Metal Detecting
    One of my permissions is a farm bought in the 60's by a friend of mine's father. There was an old house they got rid of by burning. When the siding burned off it exposed a log cabin underneath. Too late to save it. It was likely from the 1860's to 70's. I hope the city fathers in Washingtonville can save the structure and restore it. Gary
    Last edited by ToddsPoint; Feb 09, 2020 at 05:14 AM.

us
    Oct 2014
    florida
    4966 times
    Pretty cool, but progress will not allow it to be saved....take a pic, then knock it down. History repeating itself. It would make for some good repurposed timbers at least.
    A2coins, jamest64, AARC and 2 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    David

Mar 2013
    North Eastern NC
    Equinox 800 and Excalibur
    1010 times
    Amazing discovery. Even if you can't save the structure, I would be begging for permission to detect every inch of dirt that is exposed.
    A2coins, Bum Luck, AARC and 2 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    41491 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    That would be a cool place to search. You would have to be there pretty quick before they started building whatever is going to be built.
    Still Available Approved TreasureNet Sticker $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 34 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy.................... Put it on my Trans Am FREE SHIPPING Street Racing My Trans Am W/Tnet Stick

us
    Diggin'

Jan 2020
    Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
    590 times
    QUICK!!! Everyone grab their Metal Detectors and meet me on the corner!! :grin:

Don't you hate it when the "city" finds something of historical value and then trashes it? Where I live, they would move something like this cabin to a city park and put up a sign with all the pertinent info so people could enjoy it (they seal the windows and doors to prevent against vandalism).
    -DH-
    AARC, Blak bart and Simon1 like this.

us
    Jan 2013
    Maryland
    Bounty Hunter
    1822 times
    Metal Detecting
    They're moving it? For crissakes. It's been there for well over 200 years. Leave it where it is.
    AARC and Simon1 like this.

us
    Diggin'

Jan 2020
    Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
    590 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubter in MD View Post
    They're moving it? For crissakes. It's been there for well over 200 years. Leave it where it is.
    The article says that until things get ironed out the cabin will stay where it's at.
    Simon1 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    24633 times
    A couple different properties have revealed square hewn logs in my area over the years after the siding was removed too...

Have not seen an example but have read of a wall being scored (A large X on one wall for example) to allow disassembly and reconstruction when relocated.
    That requires intact corners. Which with proper notching originally is often possible.

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    1267 times
    Where's the archies when we need them?

They will stockpile the topsoil, hopefully offsite, that's the time to work it.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

Jul 2019
    2 times
    They are probably going to build a Dollar Store!!!!!
    AARC likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "Bay of the Holy Spirit”
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    66170 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfoxbob View Post
    And metal detecting The Dollar Store parking lot sucks here.

:P
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    1267 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfoxbob View Post
    Ugh.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

Charter Member
    us
    Well reasoned and delightfully brutal

Mar 2008
    WA
    Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
    2205 times
    I can understand how they were surprised to find a log building inside that bar. Here's what it looked like before the demo began:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cabin.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	886.4 KB 
ID:	1802509

What you don't see in this picture is just how far down Water Street it went, but I suppose that's what a few centuries of additions can do to a structure. Unfortunately, aside from a vacant lot next to it there's very little unpaved ground in the vicinity.
    Simon1 likes this.
    Avatar taken from "The Biting Pear of Salamanca." See the original here: http://ursulav.deviantart.com/art/Th...manca-29677500

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links