Can you really live off the grid in Florida keys
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: Can you really live off the grid in Florida keys

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    A-Team = Reasearch and Recovery Team. If you don’t care about the past generations of centuries ago, then your current thought of today will always be incomplete, it all matters folks.

Aug 2013
    Wastelands of the abyss
    Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
    443 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Can you really live off the grid in Florida keys

You no folks I’m beginning to understand what people mean when they say they had enough of the hustle and bustle of this everyday life and simply want to cut it loose, mentally drained etc. so all you Floridians r these YouTube videos all stupid or can you pull it off either for awhile or for good. Maybe sounds stupid subject but serious question, appreciate honest answers. Life to short folks Enjoy something, god bless

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    31697 times
    Living off grid means no electricity from local power company so unless you like sweating your butt off you would need some kind of power source, solar, windmill or generator.
    SD51, Bum Luck, A2coins and 3 others like this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    28844 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Well, I am not in Florida, but in Maryland where we get a drastic change of seasons, sometimes in the same day, here is what I have found out regarding living off the grid. First, I wouldn't want to.

I have a house that is paid in full on 3 acres. I have access to a natural clean spring and a creek with small fish in it. I have done extremely minor "prepping" since I was about 8 and we had to run, duck and cover in case of a nuclear blast. Yeah, that will work really well...not.

Anyway, since I do not like the idea of being "trapped" in the house in one of those winters where we have a 30" snow, yeah, that happens every decade or so, or an ice storm that's bad, which is more frequent, or tornadic winds, yeah, that's every year within a few miles or here or such, I have been negligent this year in getting ANYTHING ready except a flashlight and batteries.

Now that I'm an old toad I finally did some upgrades. I first went from a minivan to AWD Chevy Equinox. It likes the snow. It just happened to be one of the more reasonable vehicles out there when I went to look for a car 5 years ago this week!

So this year I watched way too many youtube videos and made some adjustments. Got some dried and canned food, I don't keep a lot here anyway so this was a big deal. Got a cot and sleeping bag in case the power went out for a week or more, that way I can sleep closer to my emergency heat source. It has done that in recent memory, fortunately it was in the month of September.

I have a whole house generator but it's only good for so long as you have fuel to run it. So I got a Mr. Heater portable heater (under $100) and some propane for it. I have enough to keep from freezing for at least a week. I have a kerosene heater but the fumes bother me these days. The propane heater is 100% clean. I tested it for the first time yesterday and it's a winner!

So...water, food, heat for a few weeks.

Add in a 100 watt solar panel system to recharge a humongous deep cycle battery and I have 10 years of light or fan or even computer or 12 volt refrigerator.

So, if it hits the fan? Living off the grid is not very workable. There are several things that will take a prepping plans to ruin almost immediately.

A fire. A big storm throwing a tree into your house. Crazies coming to take what you have, and as one guy pointed out, they have relatives who will come after they are gone. An illness. An injury. Any preexisting medical condition.

Chickens are very tasty, don't tell my elderly hens that. Plus you have to breed them as they don't lay eggs indefinitely. Which means a rooster who will let the entire world know where he and you are.

So...forget it long term. Best thing to plan for is a few week emergency situation. Like a hurricane in Florida. Or an ice storm in Maryland.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1453.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	3.11 MB 
ID:	1800884Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1452.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	3.04 MB 
ID:	1800885Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1454.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	1800886 A couple toys I got for the 2 week emergency. They come every 20 years or so. The one week emergency about once in 10 years. The one day no power, at least twice a year, not including the times the power goes out for 4-8 hours, which is about 10 times a year, at a minimum.
    Last edited by smokeythecat; Feb 12, 2020 at 12:16 PM.
    SD51, Loco-Digger, danloop and 5 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2014
    Kentucky
    Unicorn Treasure Master Pro Modes: Dowsing Pulse Induction Multi-Frequency Ground Penetrating Radar Beat Frequency Oscillation Aural Target Identification
    174 times
    Metal Detecting
    Having lived in rural Florida I wouldn't consider it the best location to rough it. There's a lot of bugs, snakes, and alligators. Even if you never see an alligator while getting water from the creek or river, the bugs are relentless and loud.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    28844 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Yes, imagine the endless heat and mosquitos.
    AARC likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    Southern California
    Equinox 800 / XP Deus
    8733 times
    You’ll also need someone as clickbait so you can make an income off of YouTube.
    smokeythecat and BillA like this.

“Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.”
    – Albert Einstein

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    28844 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Correct Rusty Gold. A lot of what I see is plain garbage on youtube. Or regarding metal detecting, outright lies.
    RustyGold likes this.

us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    3463 times
    Good list Smokey. You are better prepared than most. You forgot to mention the frozen water bottles for short-term use after a summer power failure. Refrigerated or frozen items are not an issue in winter when they can be kept outside, if protected from animals, or in a car, truck etc. South of you we don't get as much snow, but do get the ice storms.

My only real freezer concern is for my stockpile of scallops and Patagonian red shrimp. More places sell dry ice nowadays, but who knows how long they would have some in stock in the event of a prolonged power failure or if you could even drive there. The longest power failure we had was about 10 days after an ice storm in the late 1990's. Up to half a day is common when the wind gusts exceed 40 to 50.

I don't rely on a gas generator because I don't trust the low quality fuel and the nearest ethanol-free gas is about 40 miles away. Now if it was a diesel generator, that would be a different story.

I do miss the well water of our last place, but don't miss filling buckets when storms were forecast.
    Last edited by Megalodon; Feb 12, 2020 at 12:40 PM.
    RustyGold likes this.

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    1263 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    Yes, imagine the endless heat and mosquitos.
    I remember that. 95 degrees and just relentless mosquitoes, even in the middle of Tamiami Trail pavement, 40 or 50 at a time. Worse in the bush of course.
    Blak bart likes this.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." — Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

us
    A-Team = Reasearch and Recovery Team. If you don’t care about the past generations of centuries ago, then your current thought of today will always be incomplete, it all matters folks.

Aug 2013
    Wastelands of the abyss
    Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
    443 times
    Yikes, would that include the keys to way down yonder, bugs, snakes, and gators not good, but the keys have that to bugs, snakes, gators

Aug 2016
    1280 times
    gators are freshwater, we have saltwater crocodiles down here
    Flipperfla and Bum Luck like this.

us
    John

Dec 2018
    Fl.
    Garrett
    200 times
    No-see-ums are going to give you a whole new outlook on life. Almost everything in the Keys is private property, campsites run around $50-150 a night. Your other living choice would be a boat or living under a bridge.. Pythons have worked their way down in the Keys. There are islands we visit in the backcountry between the Glades and the Keys.......EVERYTHING IS GONE....NO BIRDS, RACCOONS, CRABS...NOTHING...JUST SILENCE! Pythons have killed everything.
    AARC, Mackaydon and Bum Luck like this.

us
    John

Dec 2018
    Fl.
    Garrett
    200 times
    Hells Bay. First place I ever saw a croc! He was a big boy. We boated the Wekiva River yesterday, loads of wildlife. Probably 2 dozen gators. Beautiful day!
    Bum Luck likes this.

Mar 2016
    3911 times
    “Living off the grid” means different things to different people. For some it could simply mean not being connected to a commercial power company. To others it means being entirely self sufficient.

I think it’s much more realistic to strive for a certain degree of living off the grid.
    This Communication HEREBY Serves as OFFICIAL NOTICE That All Messages in This Thread Have Been REVIEWED. FURTHERMORE, All Messages of Positive Nature SHALL IRREVOCABLY Be Considered "LIKED" INSOFAR as Applicable to This Forum. FINALLY, All Discrimination is Strictly PROHIBITED.

us
    Apr 2009
    Cumberland Va
    T-2-SE
    1599 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    People lived off grid in those swamps for hundreds of years . but that was then and it was all they knew .
    without Electricity you're going to suffer for sure.

Electricity and the power company is not the enemy , keep searching . maybe you seek seclusion privacy and a slower pace . if so Fla is not the place to be .
    RustyGold likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links