Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was called "Pound the Ground" last year and was run by a different bunch of folks. This year it is being run by some other people. From their website they have added 600 acres to the large tract of land they already had. From the website, 1,000 people detected it last year and the year before there was also a hunt on the grounds with I think another 1,000.

This year they are also doing 1,000 people, assuming enough sign up. It is located near Chazy, NY, which is almost as far north as you can go before running smack dab into Canada. There is not a lot of anything there. Biggest town nearby is Plattsburg, NY or Montreal, Canada.

Chazy sits on a plain overlooking Lake Champlain. Some miles south of there was the Battle of Valcour Island in 1776 and Battle of Plattsburg during the War of 1812.

Check out some youtube videos from people who have gone there before. They did find native stuff, but it most likely won't be like digging a city park. Stuff will be very spread out. I'm thinking of going.

As far as natural coins from the area. Maybe a few. After all, 2,000 detectorists have been over all but the new 600 acres in the recent past. Now up there a lot of the farmers still plow, so that may be an advantage.

It is literally in the middle of nowhere. I have driven through there many, many times in the past to visit my daughter in Montreal. Ausable Chasm is a cool local place to visit and is nearby.

OP
OP
wingmaster

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't seem to be worth the price then, unless there's some people that have found some good finds. My money might be best spent just taking trips close around here I guess. HH

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How far is it for you? I could do better close to home, but sometimes its the adventure factor.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went last year and it was a really fun event / adventure.. great to get out to see some beautiful scenery and met some new people. It was pretty daunting seeing about 1,000 people fan out across these fields. I found a really great find that made the trip for me. Watching the hoover boys and a couple other youtube videos you definitely get the idea that a decent amount of stuff was found. but those videos are a small sampling of those 1,000 people but who knows if that corelates to anything... it was all about being in the right place at the right time. There was a certain field that we went around the edges because it still had corn. We didn't find anything and moved on. A few hrs later they harvested that corn and people were all over it like ants. It seemed there was a hot spot... There was... and a whole bunch of stuff was found. If the fields are plowed it could be a whole new ball game. I'm not really sure how that works though as I'm not a regular farm field detector. I would say take the chance and have some fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread