My first 1837 large cent

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 6F836568-260B-4E42-982B-616065C50027.jpeg
    6F836568-260B-4E42-982B-616065C50027.jpeg
    750.6 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a very big deal to find a Large Cent and your first one looks like it's in real nice condition !

There are a lot of East Coast people that have been in this hobby for years, that are still looking for their first LC.

Congrats on a great find !

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update later

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding find!
Looking for my first LC.... Got a permission lined up where it’s possible

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must say my friend does the lengthy research, when we enter an area we have some idea what was there, to be honest nobody is 100 percent because of limited photos and clarification. Being that said educate on your own area first then travel onward. When we enter the past we dont no what we are going to find, probably old farm relics, iron etc because the early settlers where farmers mostly so most lived along rivers. But we find silver dimes, buffalo nickel, Indian pennies, wheat to, oh and spoons, buttons and so on. So to all of you yes you can go hours before you find something nice, not the many cans, aluminum etc, but study, go to area stand back and let your imagination start think like the early settlers, look for stone foundations and go at it, thanks

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you found a really nice large cent. You could probably toothpick or use andre's pencils lightly without risking destruction of it. That's what I'd do.

Davidson

Feb 25, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must say my friend does the lengthy research, when we enter an area we have some idea what was there, to be honest nobody is 100 percent because of limited photos and clarification. Being that said educate on your own area first then travel onward. When we enter the past we dont no what we are going to find, probably old farm relics, iron etc because the early settlers where farmers mostly so most lived along rivers. But we find silver dimes, buffalo nickel, Indian pennies, wheat to, oh and spoons, buttons and so on. So to all of you yes you can go hours before you find something nice, not the many cans, aluminum etc, etizoco, but study, go to area stand back and let your imagination start think like the early settlers, look for stone foundations and go at it, thanks

yes correct, it's good find. mostly people find only pennies , buttons etc..

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update later

Yes river, lakes, shore lines. Different places different times of year, example, woods will be off limits soon due to the growing of jaggers, ticks, simply can’t access like now. Depends on what you are able to do, is your health good enough for walking distances, constantly bending over. Obviously folks when you get older this limits much. So under ordinary situations most areas are good, parks old stuff, permissions if allowed. But you have to decide as I’ve found out going after older coins , relics old maps give you idea the rest is up to you. So in ending are you happy with simple open field park hunting which most have covered or more challenging and rewarding foundations before they are unrecognizable. Good luck it what it is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread