Avoiding iron junk

OP
OP
B

baker joe

Apr 10, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides, the gold coins you speak of, if they were cashed, may very well be in an old metal can or pot or other iron or metal object.
I remember reading about a 6' or so long piece of pipe that a hunter dug up and both ends were capped. It was chock full of silver dollars....

I hear you about that one. Last week I was searching around the creek (next to where the settler's shack was), for nothing in particular. I looked under a huge overhanging boulder, and in the mud, found this bottle. No idea where it came from.

Attachments

• bottle.jpg
    bottle.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 39

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the stories Iv read about misers passing away and the court sending detectives out to find their jars of coins have found the jars burred in a wood shed or barn...

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the property was in a remote area away from any neighbors it is/was possible he may of had a trap door in the floor or concealed wall his house and had it /hidden/buried. Especially if it was pier and beam foundation which most old houses are built on. Definitely have privacy in hiding your stash without someone lurking in the woods or across a field watching where you are going.

My mothers father he hid all his money under a trash bag between the trash bag and garbage can. My mother and aunt asked him, (when he took the trash out of the can and gave them each a $100), she asked him what in the heck was he doing hiding his money in the trash can. His response; "Who looks in the trash can to find money, especially if my house gets broken into?" When I heard him say that, I was only 12 years old at the time and it made sense to me but not my mother and aunt!

Older people that grew up even before and during the depression era always had ways of hiding things in places nobody would ever think of. You have to put your mind and think outside the box. Could be someone already found it and didn't say anything especially if maybe he hid it under his flooring under his house and it was bulldozed. But, I would get a detector, grid off the area like others have said, DIG EVERYTHING! You might even find stuff that may be junk, (or junk to you), that may be worth something even old bottles are worth some money to collectors. Finding treasure isn't easy, if it was we all would have found it all. Keep searching and good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread