Ticks are out up here in southern Idaho....

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found two attached to my belly this morning. Might have got them from Heidi, or moving pipe in the pasture. Worst places in this area are Big and Little Lost River valleys, and Birch Creek valley. Some areas of the desert are bad, too. Green River Basin in Wyoming is full of them, too. I got Rocky Mntn Spotted Fever from a tick bite there several years ago. Will be treating my clothing with Permethrin before heading for the Cutoff tomorrow.
Jim

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ticks are sure nasty little creatures. I make sure to hose myself down with deet before stepping off of the road. And still find a few. I had a tiny one on the front of my neck years ago, that made me sick for a week. The Doc said it was "just a bacteria of some kind." Stay careful.

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Picaridin is much better, for ticks, than Deet. I use Permethrin on my clothes and Picaridin on my skin. Never had a tick while using both, and I spend a lot of time in tick country
Jim

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deet is useless against ticks. The ticks will still crawl up your pants. I use Permethrin on my pants and the ticks will crawl up a little ways then die and fall off.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently heard about Seresto flea and tic collars designed for dogs - I wondered if they could be worn by people ( around the ankles - possibly the neck too ?) anybody know if this might work ?

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife makes a mixture of Water, and Tea Tree Oil. Just pour 7 or 8 drops of the oil into a small spray bottle, and fill it with water. This is all natural, so it can go on your skin and around the cuffs of your clothing. I especially wipe some on my neck area and arms. I have never had a tick on me since I started using this mixture 10 years ago. It may smell a little strong to some people, but we are out in the woods and its not like your going to the store. Give it a try, I highly recommend it, and usually suggest this mixture a few times each year, on the forum, during tick season.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I recently heard about Seresto flea and tic collars designed for dogs - I wondered if they could be worn by people ( around the ankles - possibly the neck too ?) anybody know if this might work ?

I’d be sure to check with a medical doctor first. I have been told that those flea and tick collars contain chemicals which get absorbed by the dog and then are in its body, causing the tick to die AFTER it bites. Probably not good stuff to have in your system.
HH
dts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread