Investing in the Minelab CTX 3030

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been a happy and productive White's Spectra V3i user since last August. I think it is a great machine but it lacks the versatility to take advantage of my location. I'm surrounded by miles of ocean beaches on the eastern end of Long Island, NY that have a rich maritime colonial history dating back to the 1650's. I'm interested in recovering that past and since much of the early settlement was along the coast, a portion of those finds have to be buried in tidal zone as the coastal areas erode. The Spectra has done well in upland wooded locations and flat agricultural regions. But now those areas are infested with ticks and leafed-out scrub brush. I was thinking about buying the White's Beachmaster TDI but I realize I am being somewhat blinded by brand loyalty and desire to buy American-made. The CTX 3030 has all-weather beach versatility and I can drop into the wooded areas on impulse all in one package. I also enjoy the scientific and mechanical aspects of metal detecting technology so I enjoy learning different approaches. Also a part of me is curious. If I go over my hunting grounds that I have already invested over 500 hours searching with the Spectra will I discover more, and more importantly, deeper objects? I can also use my Spectra for others who wish to learn the hobby from me. I always tell people that metal detecting is a poor spectator sport.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Minelabs are very good machines, with both those machines you will have a great detecting comb. :icon_thumleft:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion, is that it's all in what you want for yourself. There are some real "cheap" detectors out there, that have made some excellent finds, and some real expensive detectors that don't seem to find much. This is just as much about the users ability as it is the price of the detector. Since you said you like technology, then the CTX may be for you. It is costly, but maybe you do some serious hunting so it would be worth it. Personally, I like my Nox 800 and still use my Fisher CZ 5 for many hunts and do very well with them. Good luck in making your decision.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I would at least consider the Equinox as a possible replacement. There are other detectors that I prefer dry sanding with. The XP Deus for example. Good luck on your choices.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've always been a sucker for technology. I've had the CTX for over 6 years, have a lot of swinging hours into that baby. I also jumped on the EQ800 bandwagon when they came out.

They are absolutely great machines, no question. The only negative I have about them is that I spend too much time evaluating the signals & ID's given.

Where, with my Tesoro Tejon, it beeps = I dig. I think I dig more targets = find good ones with the Tejon than with the CTX or Nox = because I spend that extra time evaluating whether I dig or not with those hi-tech gizmos.....

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the thing. In the 8 months I have been pursuing this hobby in my spare time I have landed finds worth several thousands of dollars. It's not only because I have graduate level archaeological training and do my research, have a decent machine in the Spectra, and have put in 100's of hours in the field: I live in an area of great potential with 25 years of connections and permission. Aside from historical settlements reaching back to 1650, there has been a cultural affluence of people who have nice things and lose them. I live near the town that was designated the first port of entry into the US by the Continental Congress (not NYC) and was an important whaling town right up until 1847. If you live by the sea you are connected to the world. And many of my finds are in excellent condition which I believe is due to the sandy base that allows drainage of water. If I'm going to do the leg work and swinging I want the best machine I can obtain in my hands.

I have a nagging feeling of what if. I think the Spectra is great in many ways I just wonder if it has the depth potential I need. I will find out because I have reworked many of my areas several times. Given my machine and ability I am ready to declare some areas hunted out for me. The only thing giving me trouble are the brass bases of old pre-1960 shotgun shells. I know what they are before I dig them, but I dig them anyway because I can go all day at a walking pace and not hit a target. I like to examine old rose nails because they help me date a site. But I am fearing the woods. despite taking precautions I had two ticks in my skin last weekend. I don't need Lyme with Corona! I have to hit the beach and the Spectra is not well-suited.

The best part is I think I can buy the machine completely out of proceeds from my finds. Right now on Ebay I have my GW Inaugural Button (starting at $2k but I think it will fetch more) and 1798 Draped Bust Cent up for auction. I'm keeping my British colonial gold and silver but am letting some of my other finds go. I am having success and fun getting ready to ramp things up. ebay1.jpg ebay5.jpg

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
I live on LI too,western suffolk.I own a CTX,Nox 600 and Explorer II.For salt water beaches these are great choices,The CTX and Nox are waterproof.The NOX 600 can be had for $600 new.I hear you with ticks on LI,they are really bad.I only hunt woods in winter and then with permathrin on my clothes,lyme can ruin your life.

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived in Lloyd Harbor for a dozen years before moving out east nearly 25 years ago. I only dabbled with a White's Coinmaster wish I had been serious about the hobby back then. The colonial American\Revolutionary War period is my favorite and the entire island played an important role.I have to work around deer hunters, bow season begins November 1st and the woods become quite dangerous.

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a beautiful g dub

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never used a Garrett but watched some YouTube vids. I do like the rugged military design of their new top units. Don't know if i want full time PI.

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the GW and have a feeling I am going to find another. I see them pop up on Ebay for around $5k and sit there so I'm interested in finding out the real market value and interest. I would only sell something like this if I turn all of the money back into the hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread