Relic Hunting

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
whites 5900, Tesoro Tiger Shark on order
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have twice. The last one at Simi winery in California while I was working one night. It was either paranormal or I was full on hallucinating , which I don't think I have ever done before. Most everyone believed it had happened because that winery has a long history of crazy sightings.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've metal detected two spots in Rhode island that people claim are haunted. Here's my take on them.

The first location, Hanton City Ghost Town in Smithfield seemed like a very serene and peaceful place. Never found much there, but I never got a bad vibe from it. Lots of wildlife roaming around, including a huge buck. Even saw a bluebird there once, which is a rare occurrence for me. Definitely not a scary place to check out, if it's still accessible to the public.

The second location, the Ramtail Factory in Foster was a different story. The area is full of small bits of lead, so detecting is tough. I went there a few times and never saw any wildlife, plus the place was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. No birds chirping anywhere. I'm not a strong believer in ghosts or haunted places, but that spot gave me the creeps every time I was there. I always went in the early afternoon and got out of there well before dusk! I never even did the ruins of the factory, since it's on private property. But that whole area seems like a sad and depressing place. Just my opinion on those two spots...

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every dam day when I see the average human being they changed so much I think they are paranormal and paranoid. You have to admit the America we once knew went to hell. So yeah everyday I see paranormal and it ain’t good

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to occasionally find a remote site that really creeped me out from the graffiti or anecdotal evidence of rituals.

What really makes me feel like I'm peering across the "uncanny valley" is rock cairns. In the most remote locations, I tend to get a jenky feeling knowing some intelligent design and/or intent was present to have have stacked them.

there is some forestry land east(?) of Kapowsin, WA behind Ft Lewis/JBLM where I used to go target shooting. on the way there, there was a clear cut full of tall 4-6 ft stumps. Nearly every stump had a boulder placed on top. Too heavy for a man or even a team lift, and my intellectual brain wondered if and why someone would take the time and energy, and fuel, to screw around with placing the boulders with a excavator or power machinery.

Weird.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago I came down with a sinus infection and was prescribed prednisone for the swelling so I could breath.
Well having taken it be for I know it makes me very hard to be around ,everyone's a jerk but me when I'm on that crap.
so I get a doctors note to take a few days off to get past the infection and moodiness.

Well I didn't feel that bad, so off I went metal detecting at a place called the bloody angle in Spotsy.
I was walking a road bed detecting and had just dug a button back and looked around before standing back up like I always do before standing.
and felt a chill go up my spine as I see a group of union soldiers running across the road ,One of the men looked at me and motioned for me to run with them.

I got to my feet and ran to the spot I saw them last to look for foot prints or something to confirm what I had just seen.
when I get to the spot my machine is going off like crazy . again I look around as I get on my knees and start to dig bullet after bullet , my memory has lost track of the exact amount but it was around 50 bullets all in one hole. all 58 cal 3 ringers.

I do know prednisone can cause hallucinations but I've never known them to produce civil war bullets.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well it seems there's a whole forum on paranormal , just scroll down and enjoy some of the stories..

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing metal detecting related, but I have a story that can't really be explained. I'm a sceptic, but this really creeped me out.

About ten years back I worked in an old WW2 Naval Gun Plant building power transformers. It is a massive building and supposedly a bunch of guys got killed there due to the lax safety regulations back in those days. There were a bunch of broken windows, so there were pigeons living all over the place in it.

Well, pigeons start to go nuts when they are ready to die. They sorta just mill around on the ground in a daze and , most hilariously of all, they are attracted to the light from a welding arc. There have been several times I've been welding and had some crazy old pigeon fly on top of my head and beat the hell outta me with its wings. It is even more hysterical when it happens to someone else!

My welding partner and I were working a Saturday, just he and I, so we were alone in this building aside from a guy up in the office like 300 feet away. This damned pigeon had been hanging around for a couple days, and we knew it was gonna die, so when we smelled dead animal we knew what it was. I walked over to the pile of iron to look for the dead pigeon and get rid of it while my partner had his hood down welding.

Our tool boxes were against the wall and our welding table was a couple feet away. I walked between them to the iron and found the pigeon. I turned around and hollered to my partner that I found it, and he lifted his hood and was like "Are you ****ing with me?"
I was like "what?"

Every drawer on his toolbox was standing wide open....

There is no way I could have fit between it and the table with a the drawers open like that! He was convinced someone was screwing with him, but there was nobody there! It certainly wasn't the guy in the office. We didn't even know him, and I'd only had my back to my partner and the toolbox for ten or 15 seconds.
It was really weird. Only time I haven't been able to explain something happening like that.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Part of the reason they call me Casper - Im a sensitive
i was into ghost hunting before all the reality shows - some are such a joke - i laughed cause i had been to
some places they went to that had been debunked yrs ago and they are going "what was that..." "oh my God what was that..."
"did you here that?..." NOPE
I think i was into it before Ghostbusters came out
I have more fun detecting

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad passed away 5 years ago. For the entire first year of his death, when I went metal detecting, the only coins I dug were dated 1943, the year of his birth. Walking Lib Halves, Quarters, Mercs, Jefferson Nickels, and I even found a 1943 Steel penny while coin roll hunting. This is a coin that I had never found in a roll before. Also found a 1943 foreign coin in a roll of coins. I never did witness my dads appearance, but his spirit was definitely with me. It sent chills up my spine when I dug those coins, or found them in rolls.

OP
OP
relicmeister

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My brother died in his sleep 8 years ago- we found out on a Sunday morning. The previous night I answered the phone about 10 pm and there was only static. A few minutes later the phone rang again and when I answered it again only static. ????????

OP
OP
relicmeister

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My brother died in his sleep 8 years ago- we found out on a Sunday morning. The previous night I answered the phone about 10 pm and there was only static. A few minutes later the phone rang again and when I answered it again only static. ????????

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I saw that on a twilight zone episode. makes ya wonder!

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill tell one here that only a handful of my close friend and my father know.

30 years ago my father and I leased a fantastic Indian site near the trinity river. The main village was at least ten acres of multicultural stacked civilization. We had tried for years to procure this property. Anyway I was digging with a 4010 johndeer tractor andfrontend loader back in those days.

I got a good trench going and we were really finding a lot of artifacts along with about 4 ft of white mussel sgell and white crumbly small critter bones in the lodge sites. I got a big bucket of dirt and lifted it. Right on top was a shiny black pot. Thrilled I stopped and started to get off the tractor to get it as it was sitting oddly right on top and I was afraid it might fall off.

As I started off the tractor I got a good look and saw that it was not a pot but a very intact human skull. Jet black. Suddenly the tractor died. Next the hydrolic collapsed and dumped the load right back in the hole. Now realize even with the tractor dead the hydrolic should have stayed in place.

I tried to restart the tractor but it refused. We eventually got a diesel mechanic out and he had to clean the entire fuel system to get it started. It was running perfectly until that moment. When it was running again the hydrolic worked perfect for years to come.

I filled the hole, loaded my gear, and left that site. Never been superstitious but that was actual events not imagination.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had one when I was a teen, definitely not detecting related.
I had this wall of speakers and covering the faces was a nice bolt of red satin material, looked pretty classy. Used to crank out the tunes for hours on end and get stoned, mess with girls ect. So anyhow one day I was doing some curls with a one armed weight setup, my head was down so I got done with that, ready for the other arm and I looked up, I looked at the red satin and almost froze cold.
You know how lines and creases kinda run through satin, well they formed a complete, detailed image of hell. Front and center was Lucifer, he was in a crouch with a pitchfork, you could even see the tail with a triangle on the end, you could see rippled muscles, he was jacked. He had his warped minions all around him, and the damned were all over the place, in various staged of torture and agony, smoke,flames and flying demons in the background.

I did a double and triple take, blink my eyes, shook my head, every time I opened them back up, there it was. So I told my sister about it and she took a look and said you know, people can see all kinds of stuff, its just lines and you see what you want to see. I said no look, theres the devil, theres the tail, theres the flames ect, she didn't see it - At first. When she finally saw it she almost turned blue and said oh my god, get rid of that thing.
I did exactly that, I took it to a park down the street and saw this guy, wasn't really a friend but I knew him, asked me if I had any weed I said sure and we smoked a bit, so I couldn't resist telling him about the thing which I had laying on the table. So just like my sister at first he couldn't see it and thought I was nuts but when he saw it he said oh my god, thats incredible, how much you want for it ? I said not looking to sell it, I am going to destroy it. He said no thats too cool don't, he talked me out of it for $40, which was a great payday for a 15 year old.

So I went back home and regretted selling it, I thought man, whatever it is is going to come back unless I destroy it. So I went back to the park and the guy was still there, showing it to other guys. I told him I want it back and I'll give him the money back, he said no way and I said yes way. He ended up getting belligerent so I ended up thumping him on the head and taking it back, after that didn't feel he deserved his money back either. So I went back home and took it in my garage, later that evening when no one was at the park I dug a little hole, put it in, squirted it with lighter fluid and set it ablaze, then filled the hole back in.

So never got haunted again with anything like that, near as I can figure, maybe we were all imagining it, but it was so very detailed. On the other hand, I cranked out lots and lots of hard rock through those speakers and into the cloth, including lots of Black Sabbath. Maybe all of that energized it from beyond, who knows ? But after that, I had alot of skulls and crap lying around, also had a Black Sabbath mirror with a pentagram, after that I tossed out anything I considered devilish, haven't had a problem since.

Last edited:

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago I came down with a sinus infection and was prescribed prednisone for the swelling so I could breath.
Well having taken it be for I know it makes me very hard to be around ,everyone's a jerk but me when I'm on that crap.
so I get a doctors note to take a few days off to get past the infection and moodiness.

Well I didn't feel that bad, so off I went metal detecting at a place called the bloody angle in Spotsy.
I was walking a road bed detecting and had just dug a button back and looked around before standing back up like I always do before standing.
and felt a chill go up my spine as I see a group of union soldiers running across the road ,One of the men looked at me and motioned for me to run with them.

I got to my feet and ran to the spot I saw them last to look for foot prints or something to confirm what I had just seen.
when I get to the spot my machine is going off like crazy . again I look around as I get on my knees and start to dig bullet after bullet , my memory has lost track of the exact amount but it was around 50 bullets all in one hole. all 58 cal 3 ringers.

I do know prednisone can cause hallucinations but I've never known them to produce civil war bullets.
This is like psychometry. It has nothing to do with having taken steroids.You just disassociated and split your energy to allow the experience. Your mind didn't make it up.It was highly charged emotional energy which makes sensing all that happened much easier.

Lucio21

Greenie
May 15, 2020
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Se Ltd.
Fisher CZ3D
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will refrain from sharing mine, less supernatural and more creepy. I shared it on another detecting venue and some guy from England with a hard on for following non existent rules had me talking and telling nothing to a detective from the state police.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been to a couple older home sites and felt "weird". In one other area I felt like someone was watching me very closely. My wife also commented on how she felt someone was watching. This was out in the woods and no human was around.
We both also felt whatever it was watching didn't want anyone there. So we left and have not returned.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I will refrain from sharing mine, less supernatural and more creepy. I shared it on another detecting venue and some guy from England with a hard on for following non existent rules had me talking and telling nothing to a detective from the state police.
LOL!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread