Coffee confession thread - what coffee, how much?

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never really did hot drinks ( not regularly) until I was about 40...then *rediscovered coffee. Started with instant ...Nescafe... Have an ancient dutch doug egbert grinder on the wall...so it progressed to beans ground fresh then brewed with a little expresso maker....guy down the road moved in and set up his coffee business from home during lockdown. I'm getting quality ground coffee now at a good price.
I kind of have a love /hate relationship with it though. Instant always made me jittery in excess. Before long detecting hikes I have 2 or 3.
Most days 3 or 4.
I watched a youtube vid on 'cowboy coffee' a while ago- looked interesting.
I worked with a woman that drank 16 coffees a day ! ( and smoked so teeth were crazy stained)

What coffee is everyone else drinking? How much?

Chub

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCF0010.JPG DSCF0011.JPG

DSCF0012.JPG
https://www.deathwishcoffee.com/blogs/news
made with a blend of Arabica and Robusta coffee beans sourced from India and Peru.
Haven't even had a Sip of any other coffee since I started drinking it several years ago

I always have 3 Pounds on hand for Emergencies.
as soon as I Break into the 4th. and dump it in the canister, I order 3 More.

OH ... 1 to 2 Cups a Day.

one when I wake up, 3AM ish

One Round Noon if I get sleepy, or crave the taste of coffee.

Black of course 1/3 cup grounds to 12 oz. of water

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am extremely sensitive to caffeine so if I want to sleep at night I have to cut off coffee drinking by noon. So it’s two 8 ounce cups in the morning and that is it. As far as coffee preference, I think the Keurig machines, make the best tasting coffee. I buy my Kcups, Kirkland/Green Mountain breakfast roast at Costco and they cost roughly 32 cents a cup.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Down to two pots a day.
With stores messed up on stock and deliveries I been buying 28 ounce bags of restaurant grade Arabica coffee from a distributor about an hour away..

A good Colombian always appeals for personal preference. Like other growing regions , soil and site and process matters. And that's before roasting...

Tried Jeff's Death Wish coffee. (Zoom ,zoom , smile) but price means take it easy. And supply is erratic around here. (Yes ,it can be ordered online...)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folgers Classic Roast.

Black/unsweetened.

Three cups a day (3 mugs that = 10 cups on the coffeemaker). Two on weekends.

On the road . . . Dunkin Donuts, also black/unsweetened.

I like coffee that is coffee. Unadulterated.

Last edited:

AbTexEx

Nov 27, 2008
America's Dairyland
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Folgers Dark Silk
Got Death Wish on the grocery list for next week.

Cowboy coffee without the loose grinds.

Heaping scoop in coffee filter.
Pinch the filter top together.
Truss string about 20 inches.
Clove hitch over top of filter.
Cinch with a simple knot.
Tie ends together.
8 cups (64 oz) water rolling boil.
Drop bag in water.
Cover with lid.
Reduce heat.
Stew at least 10 minutes.

Well worth the effort.

A sock can also be used.
Little less prep time.

Twice a day.
Three times with the kids here.

AJones

Attachments

• brew.JPG
    brew.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 57

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Folgers Classic Roast.

Black/unsweetened.

Three cups a day (3 mugs that = 10 cups on the coffeemaker). Two on weekends.

On the road . . . Dunkin Donuts, also black/unsweetened.

I like coffee that is coffee. Unadulterated.

Got off Folgers .
Too much acid? (Probably , too much coffee...)

OP
OP
C

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folgers Dark Silk
Got Death Wish on the grocery list for next week.

Cowboy coffee without the loose grinds.

Heaping scoop in coffee filter.
Pinch the filter top together.
Truss string about 20 inches.
Clove hitch over top of filter.
Cinch with a simple knot.
Tie ends together.
8 cups (64 oz) water rolling boil.
Drop bag in water.
Cover with lid.
Reduce heat.
Stew at least 10 minutes.

Well worth the effort.

A sock can also be used.
Little less prep time.

Twice a day.
Three times with the kids here.

AJones

Kitchen must smell great!

Chub

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who else has a Keurig machine ?? I love it !! I try all kinds of different brands. The Keurig is quick and clean and easy !! Also does teas and hot chocolate too. My kid has a hot chocolate in the morning with me and can fully operate the machine on his own at 7 !! Hes quite the barista !! I've herd that they make medicine pods for the Keurig machine now also....got a cold or the flu, then pop a thera flu pod in the Keurig machine. Brand wise I like folgers dark, green mountain, cafe bustello, and dunkin donut pods right now. Strangely I never tried coffee until I was 35 and I usually only have 1-2 cups in the morning.....3-4 cups is alot for me and I rarely drink that much. If I have an after dinner coffee I'll be up till 2 am...so I rarely do that. One thing we have in south florida is the cuban coffee culture !! These are the small Latin coffee stands dotted around miami and the keys....they are usually a walk up window with outdoor seating, they serve small shots of cuban espresso, coladas, and cafe con leche !! In the morning the men meet here for coffee to start the day...its vibrant and loud in the morning with everyone conversing in spanish drinking cuban coffee and catching up with the local coconut telegraph gossip !! In the afternoons lots of times the old men will be drinking coffee at the outside tables and play dominos....if you like coffee and come to south florida for vacation have a coffee at one of the many "cuban cafes" it's a simple must experience thing to do down here !! They also usually have a snack menu too. the larger ones will serve hot pressed cuban sandwiches, guava pastries, ham croquettes etc etc. To me this is far more satisfying than the corporate, high tech, digital, Starbucks experience !! Just a simple way to take a 15 minute break during the day with nice home made products !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This describes the cuban coffee culture perfectly....please watch if you love coffee !! Even a gringo like me is proud of our cuban cafe's !!

Last edited:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm with you on the Keurig machine. We got one and I love it. Angostino's dark roast or Green Mountain dark roast. A spoon of sugar and a splash of Half and Half and I'm buzzin'. I went to school in Italy and if you went into a coffee shop and asked for coffee "correto" they would put a shot of whisky in it. Gary

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Method is single cup drip , filter cone , slowly pour water from kettle over aprox. 2 heaping tablespoons of dark roasted coffee grounds . This will make at least two robust cups of strong black coffee , repeat process 2 or 3 times over a couple of hours , and I'm good to go !

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I drink coffee round the clock. My preference is Folgers or maxwell house and I love blueberry flavored ( Green Mountain) I use a
Farberware k-cup that uses pods or loose grinds. I drink way more than recommended
But my health is fine at 63- I believe there are health benefits to coffee in fact.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread