Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This young groundhog, who I named Brownnoser due to his coloration, has made his home 20' behind my house in a bank of dirt. He is welcome here. Well, the house generator quit and I had to fix it. There is no use in having a generator that simply does not work. Anyway, when we opened the enclosure the generator is in, Brownnoser had made his second excape tunnel at the back of it next to the house. So...fumes from the generator running would kill him so we filled the hole in with broken cinder blocks and dirt. That didn't work so well so now we're using used cat litter!!! So he's busy trying to outsmart us right now. There is a lot of newly dug dirt at the entrance to his house. I hope that 2nd tunnel is doing well.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
This young groundhog, who I named Brownnoser due to his coloration, has made his home 20' behind my house in a bank of dirt. He is welcome here. Well, the house generator quit and I had to fix it. There is no use in having a generator that simply does not work. Anyway, when we opened the enclosure the generator is in, Brownnoser had made his second excape tunnel at the back of it next to the house. So...fumes from the generator running would kill him so we filled the hole in with broken cinder blocks and dirt. That didn't work so well so now we're using used cat litter!!! So he's busy trying to outsmart us right now. There is a lot of newly dug dirt at the entrance to his house. I hope that 2nd tunnel is doing well.

Get a pic of that critter.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Ground hogs are great to have around. Wait till it finds your wife's flowers and the garden.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The garden is on the OTHER side of the house. Next to the killer chickens. I don't think he'll go that far. Will take the window screen down to get some pics.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't hurt critters. But I don't have the same regard for the humans around us.

My kilometer long very rough driveway keeps other folks away from Mom & me.

Actually I got the guy who fixed my bridge the last time to come up and give me an estimate for fixing my driveway. That's been weeks ago now, and I haven't heard from him since. Maybe I should LOVE my rough driveway?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relicmaster, unfortunately Scrambles the Wonder Chicken passed away on June 22 at 6 years, 3 months, 2 weeks and 1 day old. She fought hard but had a massive fallopian tube infection (2 vists to vet, 2 sets of blood work, xrays.) Yeah, that was excessive for a chicken.

I'm waiting for him to come out of his hole to get a pic of brownnoser.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am confident that you will eventually win the battle of wits with the groundhog. Do not underestimate your nearsighted opponent. I like the idea of dumping the old cat litter in that one burrow opening. Do not try explosives as in Caddyshack ("its only a movie"). It took me two years in my last house to win the battle with my groundhog. And I also had to answer to my wife who could not understand why I refused to shoot him. It would have been a very easy shot, but one with no honor. Eventually, after lots of effort, I managed to keep him from digging into my garden by burying fencing to about 3' and bending the underground fencing outward at a right angle for about another 1.5', with broken concrete and cinder block around the bottom of the buried fencing. Yes, it was a lot of digging...

The toughest thing about the groundhog relocation may be the feigned surprise when a neighbor describes a new groundhog digging in their yard or eating at the garden buffet. "Hmmm, I wonder where he came from?"

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put out a cut apple for him today. I am not going to use the trail cam, but will try the regular camera through a window for now. I haven't seen him all day. Some days I don't see him at all.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arrrggg brownnosing groundhogs.

Might as well use them and teach them to find treasure. :P

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The nickname has not stuck (yet) but I have called my son's wife "the woodchuck trapper" for her capture of nearly a dozen woodchucks over several years. They have an old farmhouse surrounded by farms. When metal detecting around their place, I found lots of cartridges in calibers that would have been used to shoot groundhogs.

She releases the 'chucks at a high voltage right of way edge with sand banks to the woods' edges. I know a couple of folks who have released them at developments of McMansions.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I won't run him off. Just make him move the one exit from the generator. I had a buck and a doe investigating the back door this morning.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't Aquachigger find a breast plate in the tailings of a groundhog burrow? With your luck Smokey there probably is Anglo Saxon Gold Coin in Brownnosers burrow!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the remote possibility that brownnoser someday requires an eviction, be comforted that I have a plan for that. We could take him to DC. I'll carry the live trap while you carry your Deus, trailing the camp stool. Won't look suspicious at all. We can release him on White House lawn. The resulting diversion will allow us to detect the lawn for relics from the fire by the British of 1814. What could go wrong?

The tnet mods might vouch for you but I'll have to hope for a character reference from brownnoser the groundhog.

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah Megs, that'll work. I'd be happy detecting the Mall. Anyway, His Lordship Brownnoser is no coming out today for a picture. I may have to turn one of the security cameras around to see his hole.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Why not vent the exhaust through the roof. Then Brownnose will have his own condo. Years ago while rabbit hunting my beagles got after a groundhog. It was so old it was silver and bigger than either of my dogs. I never shot animals I didn't eat or for sport so I watched the encounter. Groundhog won and went down his hole. Beagles snapped at it and bawled up a storm but in the end were afraid & let it get away. I've enjoyed that memory for 50+ years.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Good eating! They had a Super Bowl party at a relative’s subdivision and wild game entree. Barbecue ‘coon and young ‘chucks were the favorites.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, Brownnoser says he is not for dinner. I added in a few more rocks and he is running out of room at his hole. He just needs to move it 2' to the right and he'll be fine. Unless carbon monoxide is heavier than air. The one security camera was moved so I could see him better. Then I'll get up and get a pic. He doesn't come out often.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I’ve been seeing a marathon of young wildlife this year including rabbits, turkey, groundhogs and squirrel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread