Metal Detecting Sandbars

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There shouldn't be any issue.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bigger question is why would you want to? Sand bars shift, so I wouldnt expect to find anything on them expect lightweight garbage like foil.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm in Virginia, and I've hit sandbars without issue. Like Jason said, they shift. I didn't have a lot of luck hitting them. On rivers I'd look for the party spots but usually you get a lot of pull tabs, bottle caps, and sometimes a little spending change. Every once in a while, a little jewelry.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Georgia you have to have permission from the landowner(s) on both sides of a waterway to hunt in it.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bigger question is why would you want to? Sand bars shift, so I wouldnt expect to find anything on them expect lightweight garbage like foil.

Alot of the old books say dont waste your time -WRONG
yes they can move - they could cover finds they can uncover finds - its all luck but if you hit at right time
you can kill it - friend of mine was always of the mind set - stay away from sand bars - he was always told this
he was at a popular Fla. bch and was finding nothing in close - he saw lots of people going out and sitting
and frolicking on a bar bout 50 yrds from shore - he headed out and starting finding recently dropped quarters
he then got a huge blast - long story short - $5000 white gold necklace
Ive done good with gold rings on sand bars - so dont hit them - hope i come across ones you dont
no one says you have to work all day on them if you arent making finds - but if you arent making finds in close
if worth a swing or two especially if you see large amount of people out there - sometimes they are a good spot
for sunglasses - i hit one on a trip to Fla. and found like 8 pairs of Raybans - sunglasses dont sink fast

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this was a good day on a sand bar from yrs ago in Cape COD waters yrs ago
I used a PI PRO in the morning and broke my lower rod and went back out with my
CZ20 in all metal - stuff was down real deep
other hunters were all over in close - i asked around at end of the day and think one out of five
had one small ring - they almost sh#t when they saw what i got on the bar
attachment.php

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I've hunted gravel sandbars in the middle of rivers and pulled out silver coins on several occasions.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandbars are good. Yes they shift in some areas but some stay about the same due to the type of waterway. They are party spots all over any where there is water down here. They are just like any other place to hunt though. If people have been there, they most likely lost things..

OP
OP
M

MelanieN

Greenie
Jul 10, 2020
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this was a good day on a sand bar from yrs ago in Cape COD waters yrs ago
I used a PI PRO in the morning and broke my lower rod and went back out with my
CZ20 in all metal - stuff was down real deep
other hunters were all over in close - i asked around at end of the day and think one out of five
had one small ring - they almost sh#t when they saw what i got on the bar
attachment.php

That's awesome! I have a new detector and I to go out this weekend!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
MelanieN said:
That's awesome! I have a new detector and I to go out this weekend!

What "new" detector did you get, if I may ask?

L

l2hunt

sand bars can be very profitable, always trying to locate new ones, just recently i found a 14k 36 gram bracelet! people like to frolic in them sand bars hahahah

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread