Does wet ground for example after rain effect actual coil reads vs dry land
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Does wet ground for example after rain effect actual coil reads vs dry land

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sales

Aug 2013
    Steel city
    Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
    569 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Does wet ground for example after rain effect actual coil reads vs dry land

We all heard stories, the fish bite better in the rain, metal detecting whatís the true outcome of this particular question, not mineralization to speak but the ground being wet from rain. Iím no geological or expert of ground saturation making detecting a positive or negative, can anyone answer with confidence, thankyou

us
    eye man

Jan 2020
    East Tennessee
    Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
    76 times
    I seem to have better luck when the ground is a little damp, vs bone dry. Not to mention it's easier to dig. Just me.

us
    Sales

Aug 2013
    Steel city
    Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
    569 times
    Things work in mysterious ways, nobody’s an expert obviously but anyone ever did studies on the ground moisture vs dryer conditions. Thanks for your opinion a lot of people had this same question I’m sure

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    32864 times
    Yes sir, it makes the soil more conductive, you get more depth.
    Last edited by Treasure_Hunter; Aug 02, 2020 at 09:39 AM.
    Keppy and Back-of-the-boat like this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    30835 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Absolutely. Also, having dug in all types of weather if you have decent moisture (not sopping wet) in the ground AND the temps drop and there is some frost in the ground it makes it even better. I have long noticed this phenominum.

us
    Mar 2015
    Whites Coin Master, Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport High banker/dredge, DIY hand trommel, DIY Miller table, DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice, Keene A-52 A-52s 2186 Wheaties
    2256 times
    prospecting, metal detecting
    I have always leaned toward wet being better even from the stand point of easier digging. Has anyone actually done testing on this?

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    30835 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    As in test garden, no, those things are useless. But in real life, hunting the same 3' x 3' grid on an abandoned CW hut, the answer is yes. When its dry you would get just chirps and burps. When things are wetter, you would get a few solid targets, and the targets proved to be a minie ball and eagle button. On another trip back to the same little spot, I then recovered two more minies and three buttons and 3 percussion caps, that was when the ground was about 33 degrees on top. There were a lot of nails in the spot and I kept going over and over and over it again. I have noticed this on three different manufacturers' machines which I have used. Frequency didn't matter much, including multi frequency, just ground conditions.

us
    Dec 2005
    New Mexico
    Fisher Gold Bug 2, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer, White's GM3, GMT, GM24K, White's Pulse scan TDI, Sierra Pulse Pro
    37 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by 49er12 View Post
    We all heard stories, the fish bite better in the rain, metal detecting what’s the true outcome of this particular question, not mineralization to speak but the ground being wet from rain. I’m no geological or expert of ground saturation making detecting a positive or negative, can anyone answer with confidence, thankyou
    I have found that it depends where and what you are hunting and if you are using a VLF or PI detector. In a high mineral area where you are hunting gold nuggets, a vlf does better and goes deeper the dryer the ground is. But, a PI seems to go deeper on gold nuggets when the ground is damp or wet; as the pulse ignores the minerals better. In a park or other place of low minerals hunting coins with a VLF, the depth seems to be better when the ground is damp. Hope this helps.

us
    Jan 2011
    Illinois
    E-Trac, V3i, DFX
    708 times
    This is going to sound a little off the wall but I feel I have better luck after an electrical storm and also during a full moon.

Charter Member
    us
    IT COULD BE A VALUABLE PRIZE "YOU NEVER KNOW"

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    ** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
    2770 times
    ANY TYPE OF TREASURE HUNTING THAT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET
    I find that my detectors always go deeper in wet ground and it does not matter what brand i am using.
    Back-of-the-boat and NWMP like this.
    ".. Let no one know what , when , or where ..'

ca
    Nov 2009
    Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
    Tesoro Tejon, AT Pro, Nokta Makro Simplex, still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
    409 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Keppy View Post
    I find that my detectors always go deeper in wet ground and it does not matter what brand i am using.
    My buddy and I worked an area near an old fur trade site. We where pulling out flat buttons and rings from amazing depth. The soil was sweet black loam and water saturated from spring snow melt. The soil was so wet that some holes started to fill up with water soon after opening. He was using a Tesoro Vaquero and I had a Tejon. I saw this kind of depth in the same area with wet soil several times, with our machines tweaked out to the max. I believe you Keppy.
    Last edited by NWMP; Aug 02, 2020 at 10:33 PM.
    Keppy likes this.

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    4334 times
    It seem that Treasure Hunter loves Minelab.

Charter Member
    us
    May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000 -- Equinox 600 -- Vanquish 540 -- Minelab Pro Find 35 // Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger // Bunk's Hermit Pick // Sponsored By Fort Bedford Metal Detectors
    24842 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I always get deeper when it's wet. Hold on, wait a minute, are we talking about.. never mind.

us
    steve andermatt

Apr 2013
    California
    AT GOLD/Garrett /Garrett pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger
    4592 times
    I have found my detector gets a deeper signal when its wet.
    Keppy likes this.
    back of the boat

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    3378 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    May go deeper, but my silver signals really stand out and hit hard when the soil is dry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links