Coin Dealer Basically Calls my Coin Collection Junk

michael NY

Nov 4, 2007
USA
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Coinstrike, F70, Explorer XS, Sovereign XS, Spectrum, IDX PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its hard to find a decent coin dealer i wanted to get a coin slabbed I needed a piece proof it was real. As soon as I show him the coin he calls his dad over to see it both looking at it with the loop. He said its no dout it is real and will grade as f12 Never told him it was dug he had no clue. Theives they are kind enough to offer me 1k on the spot!! Kindly declined knowing that at the time in the RB price was sigifantly more. I was asking about having it slabbed he blew me off.
Years later different dealer I paid the fees insurance off it went came back from NGC graded F12!! no enviromental issues.
Me personally prefer mom pop coin shops I used to visit a guy who ran an antique shop sold coins to done lots deals with him.

caretaker

Jan 20, 2008
Maine
Detector(s) used
2-XLT, AT Pro, CZ20, E-Trac, Excal II, GTI 1500, 250, BH 101, HH Diver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
took my coin to a coin dealer, a week after I dug it, he told me it was worth 10 bucks, I started to walk out, and he said wait a minute, I kept walking, never went back, here is the coin, how much do you think it;s worth DSCF0010.jpg DSCF0013.jpg it's a 1786 Conn copper

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Suggestion. Find an old coffee table. The older, the better. Beat up, even. Arrange a mess of those old coins on the surface and pour epoxy resin over them. Put a coin book on the table and your house guests will go NUTS over the table! ╦╦C

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those colonial tokens dont look ground dug. Some look in pretty darn good shape. I actualy wouldnt put them in resin.you never know if colonial tokens may start to trend among coin collectors in the futur.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look at it this way, people pay really good money for such tables. Consider the value of the tokens as an investment in a really nice table. Besides, Hogtown can pick and choose as to which coins will be included. Instead of keeping the coins in a drawer, they're out for all to see and nobody will be "lifting" them unless it's the entire bunch! ╦╦C

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep coin dealers dont make alot of money unless they buy at a fraction of the value. Though most dug coins are considered enviornmentally damaged. Even un dug coins collectors want it pristine Ebay is your best bet.like ca baseball card just a bent corner will ruin alot of the value.just how collectors and dealers are. look at pawn stars that tells all you need to know
Back in '85, I believe the rookie Mickey Mantle card was going for $24,000 dollars, mint condition. Do you know if they're still getting that? ╦╦C

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW!! I just looked it up 1952 MM is valued at $2.8 million!!​ ╦╦C

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting