Any other outlets of history than historical societies, they lack settler years

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No fault to there own I’m not trying to trace Jesus times, but historical societies only have the information that was given which is nice however they lack the early years, because of my friend and myself going back early as 1873 county maps understand much but so much more missing and if it wasn’t for going in the woods and discovering foundations that they never marked we would never no. Again the early settlers civil war earlier came lived off the land which I thought all land was on record but maybe not. I’m sorry I just want to understand more I’d give a week of my life to experience what was 200 years ago, maps can’t give you the perspective that you need, remember no cars, only horse and buggy. I only wish I took interest decades ago. Briefly here in far western Pennsylvania there’s a story untold, no old timers to educate you, so the imagination is all you have. Anyone out there like me that wants to get to the beginning, thanks

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot of books on the history of Western PA. Dig into the Whiskey Rebellion. Also, church histories. Old Redstone, by Joseph Smith; A History of the Presbytery of Kittanning, by Sloan; Fort Ligonier and its Times, by Sipe, many more. I have them for sale but you might find them at your local library, or they could get them through interlibrary loan.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google --> Books --> (Free Google E-Books + 19th Century)

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Look into old diaries and journals. "From trail dust to star dust" was written in the early 1960's...forget by whom. Lot of interaction with local indians and first settlers around Johnstown Pa, lots from journals & letters.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look into old diaries and journals. "From trail dust to star dust" was written in the early 1960's...forget by whom. Lot of interaction with local indians and first settlers around Johnstown Pa, lots from journals & letters.

“Edward A. Starr” according to Google.

Might be kind of hard to find unless you buy from a local museum??

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my county, the oldest plat maps are 1875. I found out recently one of the first residents of our county arrived in 1821. I can find very little on the period from 1821 until 1875. So yes, you're right. There's a lot missing, especially in the map department. Gary

samlarson

Aug 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No fault to there own I’m not trying to trace Jesus times, but historical societies only have the information that was given which is nice however they lack the early years, because of my friend and myself going back early as 1873 county maps understand much but so much more missing and if it wasn’t for going in the woods and discovering foundations that they never marked we would never no. Again the early settlers civil war earlier came lived off the land which I thought all land was on record but maybe not. I’m sorry I just want to understand more I’d give a week of my life to experience what was 200 years ago, maps can’t give you the perspective that you need, remember no cars, only horse and buggy. I only wish I took interest decades ago. Briefly here in far western Pennsylvania there’s a story untold, no old timers to educate you, so the imagination is all you have. Anyone out there like me that wants to get to the beginning, thanks

you can try out your luck to find some old documents in the national archive. Its a lengthy process where you need to issue an official statement to them where you mention the purpose of your research yadayadayada and after a month or so if everything is ok they could loan you the documents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread