The Blackbeard Treasure - Scam Treasure Hunt?

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard about a new “treasure hunt” that’s supposed to have 10 chests around the US each containing $1,000,000 in cash. The chests are allegedly hidden in 10 different states and you have to buy a map for whichever one(s) you want. Each map costs $49.99 and they claim there are a limited number of them for sale. Maps are to be released digitally in November but they recommend ordering now to make sure you get yours before they run out.

Sounds a little fishy, right? Well, if you dig a little deeper, things get even fishier. Their support email doesn't work, no phone number, no address, the LLC isn't registered anywhere, nothing on their social media accounts, googling the "director's" name doesn't give any results other than the scam PR articles they sent out, and the icing on the cake is their own US map. They have a little treasure chest on each state where a chest is allegedly hidden. They list one state as North Carolina but the treasure chest picture is on Virginia. You would think a $10 million treasure hunt would know where the states are that the chests are in.

I saw on another forum that if you buy a map now, you get a confirmation email that says maps will be released in June 2020 even though the site says November and June was two months ago.

Thoughts?

(deleted by mod for rule infraction)

Last edited by a moderator:

Timbermaster

Oct 21, 2018
MT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
Other
Lots of red flags there. The only thing missing is a Nigerian prince who wants to deposit the treasure directly into your account. (Once you provide your bank account information of course.)

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I heard about a new “treasure hunt” that’s supposed to have 10 chests around the US each containing $1,000,000 in cash. The chests are allegedly hidden in 10 different states and you have to buy a map for whichever one(s) you want. Each map costs $49.99 and they claim there are a limited number of them for sale. Maps are to be released digitally in November but they recommend ordering now to make sure you get yours before they run out.

Sounds a little fishy, right? Well, if you dig a little deeper, things get even fishier. Their support email doesn't work, no phone number, no address, the LLC isn't registered anywhere, nothing on their social media accounts, googling the "director's" name doesn't give any results other than the scam PR articles they sent out, and the icing on the cake is their own US map. They have a little treasure chest on each state where a chest is allegedly hidden. They list one state as North Carolina but the treasure chest picture is on Virginia. You would think a $10 million treasure hunt would know where the states are that the chests are in.

I saw on another forum that if you buy a map now, you get a confirmation email that says maps will be released in June 2020 even though the site says November and June was two months ago.

Thoughts?

(deleted by mod for rule infraction)
SCAMS, SCAMS, SCAMS!

Last edited by a moderator:

pull_tab21

Feb 9, 2012
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well looks like a scam....no one has got their maps...imagine that...🤥

TexasRanger7

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They updated the FB page to now push back the release date to December 5th at 2PM EST.

TexasRanger7

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 12.25.30 PM.png

I simply viewed page source and it shows the page author as Baker Diagnostics. https://www.bakerdiagnostics.com/ This is a company like a GoDaddy or BlueHost. It is not a fortune 500 IT company.
I requested a refund and will wait and see. If people have $10 million to just bury and a year to plan, you would have zero technical issues. You run tests on server capabilities, bandwidth requirements, and you run beta tests with fake accounts to make sure records populate properly and any third party plugins work flawlessly.

TexasRanger7

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watched an interview YouTube video with the founder of the treasure, Sascha Blasi. He is the owner of Dark Horse Holdings, LLC a cryptocurrency company. He states in the interview that the IT company/person hired worked for top fortune 500 companies in Silicon Valley.

I looked at the page source code. It states the author of the page is Baker Diagnostics. When you inspect the page further using Chrome's inspector tool, you will find that the page was indexed by Randy Baker on 01-FEB-2020.

If you go to BakerDiagnostics.com and click on Portfolio, it auto redirects to RandySBaker.com's website.

This is NOT a fortune 500 IT firm nor is Randy Baker. Baker Diagnostics is based in Wimberley, Texas.

Get your money bak quickly, contact your bank, dispute the transaction as this has fraud/scam written all over it. He likely took deposits, transferred to cryptocurrency to make money off it all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread