Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Acorns are very bitter but squirrels taste great.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually just harvest the tender outer parts. They’re my favorite, even more so than morels. My wife prefers morels.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

For sure the best part! only had morels a few times, so far my fav is smooth chanterelles that grow on my land near all the beech trees. fry em up in garlic and butter and throw them on a burger and it will put most food establishments to shame!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost time for giant puffballs. I get them every fall.

saw a kid running around with one a few years ago the size of a basketball. Never had them yet but I hear good things about deep frying em.

OP
OP
ticndig

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out mushroom hunting and the mosquitoes ate thru a layer of deep woods off and two shirts to get to this sweet body of mine .
I found a few hundred Black Trumpets and one Indigo milk cap. one of the few natural blue foods provided by nature.

I dehydrated the trumpets and will use them in stir fry and soups at a later date. I ate the Indigo with my lunch.

698a5dd16a9f3a064f822aaf035ba7b9.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ticndig

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I walked down to the river and caught me something for dinner , The Mosquitoes were still very active so I didn't stay long 20200613_181753.jpg

Last edited:

Pavan355

Sep 5, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey.
Broadly, forest plant foods can be categorized as leaves, seeds and nuts, fruits, tubers and roots, fungi, gum and sap. Collectively they add diversity and flavouring as well as providing protein, energy, vitamins and essential minerals to the human diet.

OP
OP
ticndig

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome Pavan , do you forage .

OP
OP
ticndig

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when the weathers too hot to find any fishing worms I use slim jim snack sausage , the catfish love them and they stay on the hook really well.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will pick morels when I see them. We have a lot of pycolocobin that comes up in the cow fields against the mountain during turkey season and we catch a girl in there picking it all the time. We also have a lot of Gensing but I never have time to dig it as I do not know enough about it to dry it and sell it properly. Hate to ruin it.
Mushrooms are something you really need to know about and I do not. They look delicious though.

OP
OP
ticndig

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only eat the the ones that are fool proof myself. not looking to die from them for sure.Heck I'm not wanting to eat any to make me trip for that matter.

Last edited:

ChrisManMon

Tenderfoot
Sep 5, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice harvest. Foraging really pairs well with treasure hunting, you get a rush of dopamine everytime you find something to forage or find some treasure, last week while digging for groundnuts (hopniss) I got lucky and dug up some treasure aswell(Old token/button). Mushrooms are too dangerous for me though unless they are really easy to identify like morels or giant puffballs, hopefully one day there will be an app and a device to sample/identify mushrooms for those of us that are less skilled at it.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when the weathers too hot to find any fishing worms I use slim jim snack sausage , the catfish love them and they stay on the hook really well.

Have been doing a lot of fishing lately. Bought a new graph and can actually see bream beds stumps and trees. I can actually tell a catfish from a bass by the shape of its head. Going to do some deep water night time blue cat fishing and jig for crappie before long and will try the slim jim. Usually go early and catch a few bream for cut bait.
Stay safe!

OP
OP
ticndig

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bream will hit the slim jim as well . you can catch a lot of fish off one stick . put a 1/4'' piece on the hook ,squeeze it release a little grease and you're all set.
A bait you can by at any gas station .

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My favorite food from the forest is venison.
EIoXSbe.jpg X2vjjdq.jpg

qFIvGrM.jpg
C6OjcUd.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread