Getting 15" Coil For The Nox 800 Tomorrow

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've owned the Nox 800 for a little over three months now and have put well over 100 hours on it in the field. It has produced and I am satisfied with the machine. I'm especially happy that it is light and weatherproof and can break it down into a small backpack with some other gear and use the lower rods as a walking stick. I'm going to first use it on a wooded homestead site which has given me a nice assortment of artifacts and coins from the 1700 - early 1800's. In general I find the 4" - 6" depth optimal, but seeing the brass bases from early paper shotgun shells at deeper levels in the lowlands tells me soil has moved downhill. What I am most curious to find out is not necessarily if it will find deeper objects, but rather if the larger coil will allow me to pick up objects at the upper soil horizons that for whatever reason (size, position, masking, mineralization and conductivity) the stock coil may have struggled with. I've gone over this area several times and am the only one scanning it. If the discoveries increase markedly I will know the performance increase is obvious and not just a case of a site still churning up finds.

The 15" will become my go to coil. The weight won't bother me and I tend to cover mature open forest floor with swinging room. Down the road I will get the 6" to work denser shrubbery around wetlands after tick season. But it makes me realize how I wish the machine was marketed with a coil package option. The standard 11" coil will most likely retire into storage. Also wondering if the larger coil will drain the battery noticeably faster. Looking forward to running these field tests.

Any thoughts on coil performance appreciated.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Happy Hunting with the large coil! :occasion14:

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 , Nox 600, Excalibur II, manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have the 15 inch coil I use at the beach, I hunted 6 hours one day last week and the battery was only down 1 bar. It is a little hard to swing in the water due to the resistance but it makes me slow down my swing and that’s probably not a bad thing.

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now in my second year of detecting I have finally disciplined myself to swing slower, more controlled and deliberate.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Low and slow! 15” for the beach and forest floor ROCKS!! However Trashy sites use small Coil with increased power otherwise you will be super frustrated if you use your big gun.

Cheers

83C18198-A58B-42E7-BA87-2703833120F7.jpeg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread