Goals for the new year?

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
I am curious about metal detecting goals. How many of use have them? A goal Other than the standard “to swing a coil every time I get a chance!” I guess I have never been a “serious” hunter before sooooooooooooooo… next year I’m gonna have an objective(s). I have always been content with finding silver. As a matter of fact that’s what I like to do. I don’t get out much, about 4 or 6 hours a week average, though I have some great sites and not a lot of competition for the digs so I do OK. The last two years I have dug about 200 silver a year, mostly mercs and mid to early 1900’s stuff with an occasional worn seated thrown in.
My goal for next year is quality over quantity. I have been researching some GREAT sites that should produce some OLD (for here) silver. I also plan on swinging a coil about twice as much next year. I am also looking to find a few gold rings next year. I found 27 silver and 2 small gold (thought they were nickels) rings this year.
I’m thinking the sites I have lined up should help, some of them have the potential for LARGE numbers of silver, providing someone hasn’t beat me to them (I have a list of about 20 sites now so I think a few should be untouched). Most of these sites are from 1880 to 1930 with a few possibly from the 1850’s to 1870’s. My goals are pretty reasonable (I think).

1. 250 silver coins
2. 10 “good” gold rings
3. 10 seated coins
4. At least 1 FRIGGIN LARGE CENT!

Lemme know what you think! What are YOUR goals for next year?

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Well I will add mine but they aren't as lofty as some others:

1. Not to get beaten up and have my detector taken away (see The rest of the story in everything else)
2. Indian Head
3. 100 Wheats
4. 50 Silver
5. 1 CW bullet
6. 1 CW button
7. 1 good gold ring
8. 1 Barber
9. 1 half silver or not
10. 1 Cross (still have not found one)

Have a good day. :)

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mastereagle22 said:
Well I will add mine but they aren't as lofty as some others:

1. Not to get beaten up and have my detector taken away (see The rest of the story in everything else)
2. Indian Head
3. 100 Wheats
4. 50 Silver
5. 1 CW bullet
6. 1 CW button
7. 1 good gold ring
8. 1 Barber
9. 1 half silver or not
10. 1 Cross (still have not found one)

Have a good day. :)
THATS KINDA FUNNY THAT YOU MENTION CROSSES
I FOUND 3 LAST MONTH.

Attachments

• october.jpg
    october.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 173
  • october.jpg
    october.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 156

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My list

Indian (found this summer)
Merc (found)
Buffalo
V nickel
Minie ball
Class ring (found
Civil war eagle button
Eagle buckle
Cannon ball or Grape shot
War of 1812 artillery button
Standing Lib quarter
Franklin half
WWI lead soldier (preferably a machine gunner)
Black beard's treasure ::)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My goals....

1) Find good stuff

2) Beat up mastereagle22 and take his detector.

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My goal is not to find as much as meet more friends in the hobby to share with.
I know wierd.
Burdie

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
1.get minelab sov gt and 15 inch wot
2.stop posting cr@p threads/posts
3.meet anyone of the spice girls

Well as meatloaf says 2 out of 3 ain't bad

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
strike it rich said:
1.get minelab sov gt and 15 inch wot
2.stop posting cr@p threads/posts
3.meet anyone of the spice girls

Well as meatloaf says 2 out of 3 ain't bad

Yeah that Sov. might be tough.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
This is a tough one...but I am sure it will change depending on which detector i am using next year...so here goes...

#1 Less coins....I am right near 11,000 for year, may end year near 11,500...so less coins...

#2 A gain in depth...I want to be hitting coins more consistently from 7 to 8 inches...

#3 Hit 100 wheaties for year as I did this year....but next year I am going to be discriminating out at least 70% of cent signals...the way my readings bounce around will probably cost me some wheaties...so hopefully a high dollar amount with less pennies

#4 More silver coins...found enough gold and silver rings this year would like same amount next year...but more silver coins...

Hope everyone who sets any goals reaches them good luck! :)

OP
OP
rebelLT

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
Gregg, I have a hint for you to improve you wheat count. Some wheats that have been buried a long time will sound like an IH oooooooor, like a clad cent ???. I didnt realize this till I started swinging a minelab. I know pretty much what an IH id's on the minelab and have found about 100 wheats this year that I thought would be IHs. I cant explain it just know from experience. I wonder how many IH's I passed up when I used an XLT? I NEVER dug anything the IDed in the 60's with the XLT. Of course I imagine you know when you hit a deeper targer with the DFX. Tight signal, lower volume, lower bars on the vdi. I wouldnt pass up a mid to high sixties ID that was over 6 inches deep now for sure! GOOD LUCK!

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
rebelLT said:
Gregg, I have a hint for you to improve you wheat count. Some wheats that have been buried a long time will sound like an IH oooooooor, like a clad cent ???. I didnt realize this till I started swinging a minelab. I know pretty much what an IH id's on the minelab and have found about 100 wheats this year that I thought would be IHs. I cant explain it just know from experience. I wonder how many IH's I passed up when I used an XLT? I NEVER dug anything the IDed in the 60's with the XLT. Of course I imagine you know when you hit a deeper targer with the DFX. Tight signal, lower volume, lower bars on the vdi. I wouldnt pass up a mid to high sixties ID that was over 6 inches deep now for sure! GOOD LUCK!

Thanks getting the deeper signals is a challenge period...I sent White's an e-mail my stock coil is going back to factory...4-5 inches air/garden/real hunting lately max...still under warranty...

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
goals? *L* nah this is supposed to be fun - i have enough goals at work!

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
This year I set a goal of finding a Barber Dime (Found 2) Finding a SLQ (Found 0) and 50 silver coins total. LI TOM and I had that set at 30 but pushed it up to 50. I've got 44 so far. Next year's goals will be a SLQ (As I can't see myself finding one this year), and busting into the 1800's. 1904 is my oldest date on a coin. I do set goals, as it pushes me to work harder.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread