Roman Amphoras or Replica?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By
  • 3 Post By Red-Coat

Thread: Roman Amphoras or Replica?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Sep 2020
    20 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Roman Amphoras or Replica?

Hey guys, I got the offer to buy these ancient looking amphoras for about $90:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pottery.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	1872216

Is it possible for anyone to tell if they are replicas or not? Would be great! Even though I'm quite sure they must be replicas...
    Kray Gelder likes this.

gb
    Dec 2019
    Surrey
    3683 times
    Undoubtedly replicas. Hundreds of them for sale on fleabay... some actually artificially aged in the sea for a coupe of years. No-one who knows anything at all about antiquities, or who spends a few minutes on Google checking prices for the real thing, would sell you four authentic ones for $90. Even many of the modern replicas sold for home decor are well above that kind of price.

If they were real, unless there is provenance to demonstrate they were legally obtained and predate the antiquity laws that most Mediterranean countries now have in place, they might well be seized... depending on how they are sent and where from.

Sep 2020
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Red-Coat View Post
    Undoubtedly replicas. Hundreds of them for sale on fleabay... some actually artificially aged in the sea for a coupe of years. No-one who knows anything at all about antiquities, or who spends a few minutes on Google checking prices for the real thing, would sell you four authentic ones for $90. Even many of the modern replicas sold for home decor are well above that kind of price.

If they were real, unless there is provenance to demonstrate they were legally obtained and predate the antiquity laws that most Mediterranean countries now have in place, they might well be seized... depending on how they are sent and where from.
    That's very helpful, thank you!
    The seller definitely has no idea what he sells, I also thought $90 would be a good price even for replicas so I might buy it anyway...
    It's a private german sale from a guy who got the amphoras from the estate/heritage (not sure what's the correct word) of a woman who used to travel to the Philippines, that's all I know.
    Last edited by Raubgräber; Oct 16, 2020 at 04:21 PM.

Sponsored Links