Ancient Viking artifacts from Minnesota - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Ancient Viking artifacts from Minnesota

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2017
    The North Star State
    Garrett AT Pro & Ace 400
    277 times
    Metal Detecting & Native American Artifact Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDeep View Post
    Also, I assume the artifacts shown are from the same private Museum that has a vested interest in promoting the Rune Stone as "real".
    Yes, they are all from the same museum. I believe it's owned by the Alexandria chamber of commerce if I'm not mistaken, and it's quite small. The museum itself probably struggles to break even, but the narriative is kind of important to the businesses there. Half the things in Alexandria are named Viking something or another. Bellanca used to manufacture airplanes there, and yes they were called the "Viking" and the "Super Viking." Can't deny that.
    Hell, they have a giant statue of a Viking right in town named "Big Ole." Can't deny that either.

The museum seems to have amassed a good number of the better finds from the area and elsewhere, but to the best of my knowledge they were all "discovered" in the US, mostly MN, but some from Wisconsin, North Dakota, and even New Hampshire I believe.

One plausible reason why the artifacts have dried up is because the stone only speaks of a party of around 30 men. Some were killed, and the rest split for home. There's only so much stuff they would have left behind regardless of the notion that this took place 700 years ago, and that stuff is hard to find. It's not like the area is going to just keep kicking this stuff out forever, although it would be cool if it did give up just a little bit more. Not that that would settle any of this. I think there have been some more recent finds than you realize, at least from the 1970's and 80's. My Mom had a book on the subject, if I could find it. I'll admit it's a little suspicious that it's mostly Norwegian settlers who found all this Norwegian stuff. Regardless, the subject still intrigues me.
    PetesPockets55, Phil and RustyGold like this.

us
    TunaTonker

Nov 2016
    Whites, Garrett, Minelab
    1903 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by SweepNbeep View Post
    Yes, they are all from the same museum. I believe it's owned by the Alexandria chamber of commerce if I'm not mistaken, and it's quite small. The museum itself probably struggles to break even, but the narriative is kind of important to the businesses there. Half the things in Alexandria are named Viking something or another. Bellanca used to manufacture airplanes there, and yes they were called the "Viking" and the "Super Viking." Can't deny that.
    Hell, they have a giant statue of a Viking right in town named "Big Ole." Can't deny that either.

The museum seems to have amassed a good number of the better finds from the area and elsewhere, but to the best of my knowledge they were all "discovered" in the US, mostly MN, but some from Wisconsin, North Dakota, and even New Hampshire I believe.

One plausible reason why the artifacts have dried up is because the stone only speaks of a party of around 30 men. Some were killed, and the rest split for home. There's only so much stuff they would have left behind regardless of the notion that this took place 700 years ago, and that stuff is hard to find. It's not like the area is going to just keep kicking this stuff out forever, although it would be cool if it did give up just a little bit more. Not that that would settle any of this. I think there have been some more recent finds than you realize, at least from the 1970's and 80's. My Mom had a book on the subject, if I could find it. I'll admit it's a little suspicious that it's mostly Norwegian settlers who found all this Norwegian stuff. Regardless, the subject still intrigues me.
    Yeah, it intrigues me too. I watched a show on it a few years ago. To me, it's almost just as cool that it could be a forgery. Pioneers cooking up forgery scams is pretty cool if you think about it.
    Resident De-Bunker. I'm blunt because I don't have time to indulge your fantasies. Treasure is found down here on Earth, not on Google Earth.

us
    Dec 2012
    lower hudson valley, N.Y.
    safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
    4596 times
    The whole thing is a fallacy, stone and tools. The 'runestone" on Nomans Island is also not what some think it is. The only definite viking relics that are authentic in North America are those found at Lanse-Aux Meadows in Canada. The iron relics from there are way more rusty than the ones displayed at that museum. And sadly, yes, there were hoaxes 100, 200, 300 years ago, likely right back to when man learned to talk. Perhaps they were in MA and traveled out to the midwest, but there is no academic archaeological proof of this. NONE. Zilch. I wish it were not so, I would love to have the opportunity to hunt a viking settled area but in just isn't or very unlikely to happen in the USA.
    PetesPockets55, Phil and RustyGold like this.
    Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt

us
    TunaTonker

Nov 2016
    Whites, Garrett, Minelab
    1903 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsil View Post
    The whole thing is a fallacy, stone and tools. The 'runestone" on Nomans Island is also not what some think it is. The only definite viking relics that are authentic in North America are those found at Lanse-Aux Meadows in Canada. The iron relics from there are way more rusty than the ones displayed at that museum. And sadly, yes, there were hoaxes 100, 200, 300 years ago, likely right back to when man learned to talk. Perhaps they were in MA and traveled out to the midwest, but there is no academic archaeological proof of this. NONE. Zilch. I wish it were not so, I would love to have the opportunity to hunt a viking settled area but in just isn't or very unlikely to happen in the USA.
    While i agree it's a hoax, the tools could be authentic Viking, however, that doesn't mean the tools were lost in Minnesota by ancient Viking explorers.
    Resident De-Bunker. I'm blunt because I don't have time to indulge your fantasies. Treasure is found down here on Earth, not on Google Earth.

us
    Dec 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Minelab CTX 3030, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro
    13 times
    I want to believe. I don't think it is too far fetched that the Vikings were in Minnesota at that time. They were expert mariners, and nomadic conquerors. Hopefully more will be discovered, it does make a wonderful story.
    SweepNbeep and RustyGold like this.
    Fortune Seeker

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

us
    Dec 2012
    lower hudson valley, N.Y.
    safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
    4596 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Hide your gold and your women.....................My ancestors were EVERYWHERE.
    Well I am part native and the Skralings drove all those big bad vikings right back to where they came from or to Valhalla.
    Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt

us
    Mar 2017
    The North Star State
    Garrett AT Pro & Ace 400
    277 times
    Just for the record this conversation is awesome, and I'm enjoying it. I was once in a museum in South Dakota, Hot Spring to be exact, where a fully intact mastodon skeleton was standing. While the site contains a wealth of fossil records, this particular specimen was found by a farmer in Wisconsin, NOT by an archaeologist, or a paleontologist, or any "educated" person. The find was incredible and historic none the less. Does that make it any less significant? I showed you the pictures. A lot of these were discovered in places that I know, that are close to where I live, and yes, by farmers. Academic? No. Archeological? Probably not. Hoaxed? Perhaps. Either way, nobody is claiming that the Vikings ever settled in Minnesota. That didn't happen, you are almost 100% correct in that regard.

But, does that mean they never made it this far? I don't think so. It's possible. As mentioned by Fortune Seeker, the Vikings had skills, serious sailing, navigation, and fighting skills. The continent was a lot different 700 years ago. Some theorize that they wouldn't have had to trek into Minnesota at all, they could have sailed down from the Hudson Bay. The land of 10,000 lakes could have possibly been more like many giant bodies of water, connected by streams and rivers that were still backed up by both modern, and prehistoric beavers that were literally the size of small black bears. Ever seen a giant beaver damn? They just become earth after a certain period of time. Minnesota today has been drained beyond belief, 10,000 lakes still withstanding and all. That would explain this text, which is the generally accepted interpretation of the Rune Stone.

“We are 8 Goths [Swedes] and 22 Norwegians on an exploration journey from Vinland through the West. We had camp by a lake with 2 skerries [small rocky islands] one day’s journey north from this stone. We were out and fished one day. After we came home we found 10 of our men red with blood and dead. AVM [Ave Virgo Maria, or Hail, Virgin Mary] save us from evil. We have 10 of our party by the sea to look after our ships, 14 days’ journey from this island. Year 1362.”

Just assume for one minute the stone is real. No way could they be in Minnesota, and just 14 days from the sea. Why would a hoaxer even say such a thing That makes no sense. A hoaxer would have said they were 47 days from the sea, or 66 days from the sea, or more, something to that effect. My point is Minnesota is a heck of a long walk from the sea. And for what it's worth, the fella who discovered the Rune Stone was Swedish, not Norwegian.

This is my final argument in favor of the Rune Stone being real. I know farmers. My mother grew up on a farm, I visited it often while my Grandma and Aunt still had it. My wife grew up on a farm. My father in law farms to this day, and my son works there. Most of my best friends grew up on farms. I've been in and on farms my entire life, and I know how farmers live. They work their preverbal butts off. They don't have time to sit around, chipping on rocks, that would take a month and a half to carve. And these are farmers with already cleared land, and tractors, and milking machines. You think farmers in the 1800's sat around carving ancient letters into stone?

With that being said, it could still be a hoax, but it would have to be a very elaborate one at that.
    Fortune Seeker likes this.

us
    Mar 2017
    The North Star State
    Garrett AT Pro & Ace 400
    277 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsil View Post
    Well I am part native and the Skralings drove all those big bad vikings right back to where they came from or to Valhalla.

That they did, apparently.

us
    TreasureHuntingPug

Jan 2021
    Bounty Hunter tracker IV
    22 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by SweepNbeep View Post
    Damn Vikings have been here since 1362, and still haven’t won a Super Bowl.
    So true!
    I am a man of fortune, and I must seek my fortune.-Henry Avery

us
    The Creative Psychic

Dec 2019
    Nevada
    568 times
    The issue with having found these in MN is that at any point in history these older items may have been deposited there by travellers, even just 50 years ago. This is why proper archaeology should be done when they are found. I am from St. Paul and am likely 40% Norwegian. Don't take this personally. I am an Artist whom loves studing history of many sorts.
    SD51 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    Southern California
    Equinox / XP Deus
    10151 times
    After a long day plowing the fields, these farmers had the wherewithal to carve an ancient rune dialect in stone?
    SD51 likes this.

“Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.”
    – Albert Einstein

Fat
    us
    Mr. finishup all the leftovers

Oct 2020
    Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
    I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
    1691 times
    Dark skinned women digging there toes in white sugar sand beaches
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyGold View Post
    After a long day plowing the fields, these farmers had the wherewithal to carve an ancient rune dialect in stone?
    Ploughing is the fun part. It’s that milking and than every bale and bushel of feed that is hauled in is shoveled out the other and it seems to weigh even more.
    RustyGold likes this.

Mar 2014
    970 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldieLocks View Post
    The issue with having found these in MN is that at any point in history these older items may have been deposited there by travellers, even just 50 years ago. This is why proper archaeology should be done when they are found. I am from St. Paul and am likely 40% Norwegian. Don't take this personally. I am an Artist whom loves studing history of many sorts.
    One of the runestones was found in the roots of a tree when it tipped over allegedly, thus it would have had to have been deposited prior to the tree having grown over it. (That is, if you believe the account of how it was found)
    Using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links