How often do you lose coins?

Scott_B

Jan 20, 2007
We all know that people lose coins for us to find later. How often, if ever do you lose coins and other items? Are you more careful to not lose items, or do you lose stuff just as often as everybody else? I try to be careful when I take my keys out of my pocket to try and not drop coins. If I drop a penny in the parking lot and it rolls under the car, I will get on my hands and knees and reach under the car to get the penny.

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been hunting an old state park. Theres an area where all the fair workers camp with the row of faucets. I have found much clad there. I assume camping in tents and washing things in the area contribute to so many coins there. I can remember as a kid simply throwing pennies in water and what not just for fun because I figured they weren't worth much. Maybe someone someday will find some of those. :)

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a topic I find interesting as I have never been one to lose coins to any degree. Therefore, I'm always surprised (pleasantly) by the amount of coinage I have found in different sites. Especially surprised when I find a "glory hole" that contains several or more coins in one location. Good thing for the hobby more people aren't like me or there would be little to find.
HH
Bill

999slvrfx

Nov 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/sunray probe,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only time I lose coins is when my grandkids
want my pocket change for the gum ball machines.

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be glad to give you a total of coins lost in my life but i lost them.

Now that you mention it i have a silver dollar from the 1800s and i have searched the house one end to the other and cant find it anywhere. :(

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a little experiment to try. Go out and check along your driveway and sidewalk again. If you are like me I'm sure you already have at least once. I was surprised to find new coins. I think they DO breed, lol...

DANGLANGLEY

stephenbcool

Tenderfoot
Oct 15, 2007
I'm new at this MD and have only found 2 good items, a 1962 quarter and an old brass military button. I think I spent the quarter, by mistake, and accidentally knocked the button off the table into the trash. Who knows what I've lost on items I wasn't keeping track.

gmstreet

Jul 29, 2007
Elkins, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I had a nickle for every penny I've lost.... ;D

Seriously though, I read some where that the founder of Wal-Mart, Sam Walton never walked by a dropped penny.
I work for Wal-Mart. And ever since I read that I pick up every coin I see in the parking lot or on the floor at work.
Let me tell you I find at least a penny a day!! Now that's not much, but it's free money. So if a Billionaire wasn't to proud
to add to his fortune one penny at a time, someone poor like me has no problem stopping to pick one up.

Greg

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
I read somewhere that an estimate was around 10,000 pounds lost in an life time per person

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
stephenbcool said:
I'm new at this MD and have only found 2 good items, a 1962 quarter and an old brass military button. I think I spent the quarter, by mistake, and accidentally knocked the button off the table into the trash. Who knows what I've lost on items I wasn't keeping track.

you are off to a good start! :D

detectoraddict

Aug 3, 2004
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, DFX, F-75
I just lose bills. The wifey snatches them out of my wallet while I'm sleeping :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread