Scuba diving, beach, coin, relics,, gold metal underwater metal detectors.

tltrambo

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I know it gets annoying when new people post about the same thing over and over again so my apologies in advance.

I am about to take some long vacations in the caribbean and I will visit many islands down there. I will do wreck diving a some deep diving, snorkeling and a lot of walking inside the island / tropical forest /mountain hiking etc. I will stay down there 3 months and I really want a detector that I could jump to the water do the job there and get out and keep on moving on land. I could be finding coins, rings, relics, maybe some little gold nuggets but possibly I won't find a damn thing. Either way I want something that can do good in those situations and that is reliable as well.

I want a detector with a good updated software / technologies (I want to buy a recent model). but I'm sure that there are cheaper ''proven'' options out there. I was looking at the Minelab Excalibur II but I heard bad things from an owner that has two of them, he said that they aren't that reliable, he always have issues with one of them atleast once a year and that scares me so before I pull the trigger I want to get bashed a little over here :D

Price range up to $2k, cheers! :occasion14:

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my Detector Pro headhunter with the 12"coil for diving up to 100'. It's best if you set it up for diving with the short handle. I have not used it on land but they say it's good for that as well. For land use and shallow salt water up to 10' deep the minelab equinox 600 would be a good choice. Those 2 detectors would be very complimentary for what you want to do. You will need the underwater phones w/ the minelab. If you were not in salt water up to 10' deep, I like my Garrett AT gold w/ standard coil, it does very well in that and on land, it's just a bit buoyant.
Jon 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

OP
OP
T

tltrambo

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you sir, ill definetly take a look at the Pro headhunter!

controlfreq

Dec 2, 2007
As part of your research I would recommend researching the local laws with regards to metal detecting and antiquities in general. Even here in the states there are some cockamany laws and less than educated local constabularies. Sounds like fun though. Update us on the trip.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread