What Do You Know Now That You Wish You'd Known Then?

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
This is prompted by a kind remark made by a TN member in response to one of my posts:

What is the one thing you've learned about treasure hunting (metal detecting, coin shooting, relic sniffing, prospecting, cache searching, sunken plunder - dealer's choice) and treasure finding that you wish you'd known when you first started?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Sheperdess

Jan 20, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I would have paid more attention and learned more from my Dad. Now his knowledge and experiences are no more.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I'd known how much the stuff I've thrown away over the years would be worth now. My vintage tricycle and pedal car, my Corgi collection and other toys, robots and other battery-operated sci-fi items, all manner of early techno-gadgets, those classic sets of cigarette cards and silk-prints, comics and pop music magazines to name just a few.

camichael

May 29, 2020
La Verne, Calif
Detector(s) used
White's, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I had gotten into water hunting back in the 1970s instead of the 1990s. Wow, those first guys must have really cleaned up on the gold.!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy gold coins and Apple stock. :laughing7:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m with T-H I would have bought kruggerands at 300

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gender reveal parties... I got invited to one a couple of months ago. After about 10 minutes, I figured out why I was the only one walkin’ around naked.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m with T-H I would have bought kruggerands at 300
Yep, I remember when it was under $300 an ounce, 1970 or 1971, maybe 72, I know very early 70's.

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kantuckkeen,

Still laughing. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish i would have taken Mel Fisher up on his 5 dollar an hour job offer instead of chasing girls and getting stoned...

At least in 85 anyway :)

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In the time frame of 1978-1980 I walk into an investment joint-similar to a Edward Jones. I wanted to park some $$$ and the advisor told me about this company that was doing these computers. "Now this is a longterm investment"
Me: "How long"
Advisor: 20 yrs
Me thinking:(At 20yrs-that's my lifetime almost.) " No that's too long"

If you had bought just one share of Apple, you would own 56 shares today after the stock splits. Those shares would be worth $14,896 at the current price of $266 per share.
A $100 investment would have purchased 4.54 shares at the IPO price. After the stock splits, you would now be the lucky owner of 254 shares of Apple, which would currently have a value of $67,564.

By comparison, one of the first Apple computers ever made was recently auctioned off by Christie's for $477,000. The Apple 1 originally retailed for $666.66 in 1976 and only 200 were made.

Year later the manager called me in and stated: I have reviewed your acct. and by my calculations you have gone through 56K. Now it's really none of my business but I was wondering what this large sum would have been spent on?

I looked at him-looked over his shoulder and pointed out the window-"You see that brick wall over there?".
He looked and said in a excited voice: "You bought the Princess Hotel!?"

Me: "No-I pi$$ed it all up against that wall" I got up and walked out.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did tons of research when i was younger but never followed up on most of it back then
had a Rev war fort I knew about over 20 yrs ago but never hit and when i finally did i got a few left over goodies - but holes all over and found out others killed it
Had a humongous farm field I knew about over 30 yrs ago - never hit it till a few yrs ago - bunch of guys hit it like 10 yrs ago and got
tons of nice coins and relics including tree coins - ive gotten a few leftovers but could have killed it by myself long ago
same with water spots - lots of guys lived right near lots of old gold filled beaches - i assumed they cleaned them out long ago
gave a few a try and found lots of gold they left behind dont talk yourself out of hitting them - give them a try
Ive done very well over the yrs - I couldve done a lot better

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its not so much what machine you think you need, but how you use the machine you have.

Guess that applies to much in life, and its human nature to think about constant upgrades.

Corvus

Jun 15, 2019
MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holds up huge man's ring for $30 at the thrift store marked "950 Plat". Who would be stupid enough to pay that much for an ugly silver plated ring?

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
door knocking
every where was so open to Md, just never thought to knock
and folks were prob more open back then to Md the property
im sure i missed some goodies being so short sighted

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread