Gold coins are really hard to find, no kidding so where are they - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Gold coins are really hard to find, no kidding so where are they

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Ed

Jul 2018
    Eastern Connecticut
    Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
    4297 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by xr7ator View Post
    So, silver dimes and half dollars, SusanM? If so, that is odd, for sure.

Gold coins just weren't dropped very often. I remember back in the 80's reading a TH magazine and the story was about one that did the research, found out that when a new dog or horse track opened up, that they were making a big thing about the new tiny one dollar gold coins and that they were used at the track. The track was loong gone but they had found the spot and did manage to find a few of the little beauts.
    I've personally found three morgan dollars and after many many years of detecting. I didn't think I'd ever find one after really getting into this hobby putting in the time and realizing the odds. How the hell do you lose a coin that big? One just never knows what the next scrap aluminum target will really be. Actually, the last sentance might have a LOT to do with them not being found very often. I could have very well heard one or two over the years of non dug targets...
    In 38 years of detecting I've found three silver dollars.....two Morgans and one Peace Dollar. In that time though I've only found ONE Ike Dollar. This is probably because Morgans and Peace Dollars actually circulated unlike Ike Dollars.

Jun 2007
    Minnesota
    Tiger Shark, Xterra 705
    3512 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by xr7ator View Post
    So, silver dimes and half dollars, SusanM? If so, that is odd, for sure.
    No silver half but quite a few dug silver dimes and silver items like a thimble. Not finding big silver doesn’t annoy me as much as not finding the quarter. It’s a curse, I tell you.
    Fat, ArfieBoy, xr7ator and 1 others like this.
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of itĒ

Thomas Jefferson

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    4276 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clad2Silver View Post
    In 38 years of detecting I've found three silver dollars.....two Morgans and one Peace Dollar. In that time though I've only found ONE Ike Dollar. This is probably because Morgans and Peace Dollars actually circulated unlike Ike Dollars.
    Ha C2S, I think you have a few years on me but I remember Grandma giving me an Ike for birthday gift for three years when I was between the age of 10-13, in early 1970’s. I’d carry that sucker in my pocket for a week until I couldn’t take it anymore and probably bought something dumb like candy (remember how much you could buy for a buck back then!). My friend got a Peace dollar for his birthday, I remember the jealousy.
    Fat and ArfieBoy like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Sales

Aug 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price donít mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
    1043 times
    I appreciate your comments as well I do. Giving my 2 cents, I found my fair share of silver dimes, not easy but barber and Mercury dimes, but silver quarters not so, the gentlemen is right ever since went off the gold standard face value isnít true price, anyhow gold coins more practical beaches shipwrecks,inland Pennsylvania or Ohio not likely out west maybe. So I find large cents very rarely, Indian penny, v and Buffalo nickels , dimes as stated and regular clad. I like finding relics to. I live far from ocean but not Lake Erie so itís how do I approach it, anyhow I thank all of you we keep asking and learning
    Fat, ArfieBoy and SusanMN like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Sales

Aug 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price donít mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
    1043 times
    Please educate us that simply don’t no, this metal called silver and gold how did they determine the actual price and other metals such as platinum is worth more. I mean is this a dam game or is it the demand for something that’s hard to find or mind. The gold standard means what now.(deleted for rule infraction)
    Last edited by Treasure_Hunter; Mar 31, 2021 at 06:58 PM. Reason: politics
    fistfulladirt and ArfieBoy like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    4276 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by 49er12 View Post
    Please educate us that simply don’t no, this metal called silver and gold how did they determine the actual price and other metals such as platinum is worth more. I mean is this a dam game or is it the demand for something that’s hard to find or mind. The gold standard means what now. (deleted for rule infraction)
    No expert here but the value of the metal is based on extraction cost, involving energy, labor, equipment, processing etc...some metals rarer than others and so on.
    Last edited by Treasure_Hunter; Mar 31, 2021 at 07:00 PM. Reason: political quote
    ArfieBoy and tinpan like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Sales

Aug 2013
    Pennsylvania
    1043 times
    So extracted gold or whatever in simple terms removing it determines the cost or weight
    ArfieBoy likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    37246 times
    49er, please remember this is not the politics forum, politics not allowed in this forum....
    ArfieBoy likes this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

USAF Intelligence 1967-1971
    306th Bomb Wing Strategic Air Command
    Lackland AFB
    Lowery AFB
    McCoy AFB
    Kadena AFB 1968-1969, 1970-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

I exercise my right to keep and bear arms 24/7/365

(Per Admins avatars and signatures do not fall under rules for politics.)

us
    "Call me ArfieBoy"

Aug 2011
    N.E. Oregon
    Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
    2162 times
    The old line of wisdom says "gold is where you find it!" Same applies to gold coins! I have been detecting for nearly 50 years now and have never found a gold coin. I have found plenty of silver; dollars, halves, quarters, dimes and war nickels. But so far, no gold coins! I guess I just never got he loop over them where I've detected! Tough luck for me, eh!?

Aug 2016
    MI
    E-TRAC
    6889 times
    Been detecting over 45 years and still haven't dug a Gold coin. For the last two years, I have been digging and keeping all pulltab signals just to see how many I find before I dig my next Gold jewelry item.

The other factor that affects our chances of finding a Gold coin is to understand what ID number your detector will display with a Gold coin under the coil.

For my E-TRAC, the ID conductive numbers for the $1, $2.50, $5 and the $10 Gold coins range from a nickel, old style pull tab, new pulltab and a zinc penny.
    Richard Guy likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Sales

Aug 2013
    Pennsylvania
    1043 times
    You no what’s very important to no basically on any coin in the ground, the deeper it is you very well may get a different vdi number or tone, it’s common sense surface find strong tone and I’d, deeper it will differ. If not true please educate me. But I don’t no of any detectors that give you a 100% vdi, or tone also all coins and relics aren’t laying flat either. Any comments or is this standard just because of depth and angles, thanks
    xr7ator likes this.

us
    Jun 2010
    Wherever there be treasure!
    Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
    9224 times
    One of the other issues with gold coins is that they fit right into that same trash range that most detectorist, especially coin shooters, either try to avoid or notch out.
    SD51 likes this.
    "Treasure is wherever it can be found."

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2016
    Central MI
    E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
    6059 times
    My mother was born in 1926 in a small town in Utah. As a small child, my mother and a few of her friends found a coin in the dirt. They didnít recognize the coin, none of the kids had ever seen a coin like it before. It was during the depression and most people in that area didnít have much money anyway. She remembers the coin wasnít the same color as a penny and wasnít the same size as a nickel and it had an Indian on it. Uncertain what the coin was, the children decided to try and spend it on some candy. They took it to the store and asked the woman who ran it if they could use the coin to by some candy. The woman told them they could pick some candy out and took the coin and put it in the register. They probably walked out of there with 20 cents worth of candy and no change.

Another coin story from my motherís childhood. It was the Fourth of July and there was a big celebration in her town. Her father gave her and her brothers each a silver dollar to spend. Having that kind of spending money was very unusual for them. It was a lot of money and she remembers thinking about how special it was that her father had given them each a dollar! She was so impressed that she felt like she shouldnít even spend it. She remembers holding it in her hands and really cherishing the silver dollar that was given to her. Being so impressed with it she remembered noticing it had ďccĒ on it. I asked her what happened to it. She was pretty sure she spent it on treats at the celebration.
    ArfieBoy, Fat and Blak bart like this.

Aug 2016
    MI
    E-TRAC
    6889 times
    You no what’s very important to no basically on any coin in the ground, the deeper it is you very well may get a different vdi number or tone, it’s common sense surface find strong tone and I’d, deeper it will differ. If not true please educate me. But I don’t no of any detectors that give you a 100% vdi, or tone also all coins and relics aren’t laying flat either. Any comments or is this standard just because of depth and angles, thanks
    Agree with your comment that the deeper the coin is can affect the ID number. The point bigscoop and I are making is that Gold coins fall into the nickel and Aluminum range and most people tend to discriminate out these items.

I know of one person in Michigan that has found two Gold coins in parks near Detroit. Some people are just lucky.

Our detecting friends located in California have imo, a better chance of finding Gold coins then we do here since many were lost during the Gold rush days.

Here's a cool video from the California Relic Adventures guys actually finding Gold coins!

Fat likes this.

RTR
    us
    Roger. USAF Vietnam war Combat Vet

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    19340 times
    You no what we all want to find a gold coin you no what I say your going to need more than luck. Let’s put this is perspective, gold coins for the early settlers must have been rare I mean if they where poor how would they get in first place. Silver coins can be found by anyone. Who could afford gold coins, my goodness if your living in a shack or cabin. In America other than ship wrecks where are they, anyone care to state there case.
    Where are they ? Dunno, But everything I have ever read on the subject says... There is more UN-found gold That is (OUT OF circulation than in circulation)
    Last edited by RTR; Apr 01, 2021 at 02:09 PM.
    Fat likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links