vintage detectors
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: vintage detectors

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    As your attorney, I advise you to try the chili burger. It's a hamburger, with chili on it...

Jan 2011
    Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
    several, mostly Garrett
    4100 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

vintage detectors got the rest, pics added..

A couple weeks ago I was lucky enough to get a really good deal on seven vintage detectors that were in the collection of the late Reg Sniff. I'm thinking I'll probably keep a couple of them and sell the rest eventually after I've tried them all out. I figure there are others who would enjoy having one of their old memory machines back too, and why should I have all the fun?

So anyway, I spoke to the seller and I'm going to meet with her again tomorrow to pick up a couple more that I was interested in and if we can work out a reasonable and fair price I may get a pile of broken machines and some tubs filled with coils, shafts and other parts. My idea is to go through it all and try to identify everything and then put it up for sale online and I'm just wondering how much interest there might be in vintage parts for these old machines. I'm not expecting to get rich off of them, but maybe make gas and snack money for other adventures out of the deal and have a little fun in the process.

So what do y'all think? Is it something people would be interested in or would I just end up with a pile of stuff taking up more room in my storage forever?
    Last edited by NOLA_Ken; Apr 03, 2021 at 07:45 PM. Reason: added pics
    Honest Samuel and Cuda74 like this.
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

I collect military relics, mainly German and American, but interested in others as well, pre 1945 .. Always interested in adding to my collection

some of my antique photo collection : http://forgottonimages.tumblr.com/

Charter Member
    us
    An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson taken ten years ago)
    Minelab Explorer
    16768 times
    Shipwrecks
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    You'll never know for sure until you try. Go for it !
    Don.....
    NOLA_Ken, billb and DeepseekerADS like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    21145 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Well, I recently purchased a circa 1983 Garrett ADS3 from a member here.
    NOLA_Ken, billb and Honest Samuel like this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

us
    Bill B

Sep 2010
    Upstate NY
    Excalibur2,,silver sabre
    1470 times
    Still have a Fisher 1210 and silver turtle and silver Sabre from years ago..
    DeepseekerADS and NOLA_Ken like this.

us
    Oct 2006
    3030 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Garrett ace 100 my 1st
    NOLA_Ken and DeepseekerADS like this.

us
    Ed

Jul 2018
    Eastern Connecticut
    Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
    4297 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLA_Ken View Post
    A couple weeks ago I was lucky enough to get a really good deal on seven vintage detectors that were in the collection of the late Reg Sniff. I'm thinking I'll probably keep a couple of them and sell the rest eventually after I've tried them all out. I figure there are others who would enjoy having one of their old memory machines back too, and why should I have all the fun?

So anyway, I spoke to the seller and I'm going to meet with her again tomorrow to pick up a couple more that I was interested in and if we can work out a reasonable and fair price I may get a pile of broken machines and some tubs filled with coils, shafts and other parts. My idea is to go through it all and try to identify everything and then put it up for sale online and I'm just wondering how much interest there might be in vintage parts for these old machines. I'm not expecting to get rich off of them, but maybe make gas and snack money for other adventures out of the deal and have a little fun in the process.

So what do y'all think? Is it something people would be interested in or would I just end up with a pile of stuff taking up more room in my storage forever?
    Fix them up, put them up for sale and see what happens. that's the only way you'll know for sure.
    NOLA_Ken likes this.

us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    3883 times
    I admire what you are considering. Too often, we need some part of a machine and find out that even if the company is still in business, they haven't supported that model in decades. It can be as simple as a knob or battery tray (thinking here about the old garrett ADS battery trays) or switch/toggles etc. IMHO, a working antique detector should be easy to sell - especially if the cosmetics are fine. The parts machines will have value too - especially if you can test the electrical parts in a working example.

Some people may enjoy using a detector that brings back memories. I still occasionally use some of my antique Fenwick and Orvis fishing rods that are over 50 years old.

IMHO, it sounds like a fun project if you enjoy making someone's day more than making a lot of money. We throw away way too much stuff.
    DeepseekerADS and NOLA_Ken like this.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

us
    As your attorney, I advise you to try the chili burger. It's a hamburger, with chili on it...

Jan 2011
    several, mostly Garrett
    4100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    I admire what you are considering. Too often, we need some part of a machine and find out that even if the company is still in business, they haven't supported that model in decades. It can be as simple as a knob or battery tray (thinking here about the old garrett ADS battery trays) or switch/toggles etc. IMHO, a working antique detector should be easy to sell - especially if the cosmetics are fine. The parts machines will have value too - especially if you can test the electrical parts in a working example.

Some people may enjoy using a detector that brings back memories. I still occasionally use some of my antique Fenwick and Orvis fishing rods that are over 50 years old.

IMHO, it sounds like a fun project if you enjoy making someone's day more than making a lot of money. We throw away way too much stuff.

yeah I'm definitely not looking at it as a big money maker, more like just some spare cash for batteries and snacks and if I can get these parts back out into the world and to people who will get some use and enjoyment out of them then it's a good deal
    DeepseekerADS and Megalodon like this.
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

I collect military relics, mainly German and American, but interested in others as well, pre 1945 .. Always interested in adding to my collection

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    17956 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    I got about 6-7 from the 70s
    I started hunting at age 12 - 1975 with a used Compass 94B
    always wanted a Bounty Hunter Red Baron - it was a hot machine in my area when it came out
    found a brand new one on E bay few yrs back and got it cheap cause not many out there
    knew what it was
    put batteries in it and it caught on fire
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    Mar 2018
    Todds Point, IL
    6475 times
    Metal Detecting
    I still have my 1981 White's 6000-D Coin Master. I can't find any coins around here with my Nox or AT so maybe I should try the "Coin Master". Problem is it takes 14 AA batteries! Gary

us

Jan 2011
    several, mostly Garrett
    4100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-2 View Post
    I got about 6-7 from the 70s
    I started hunting at age 12 - 1975 with a used Compass 94B
    always wanted a Bounty Hunter Red Baron - it was a hot machine in my area when it came out
    found a brand new one on E bay few yrs back and got it cheap cause not many out there
    knew what it was
    put batteries in it and it caught on fire

I have one here, I think it needs a little work but it didn't catch fire yet...

us

Jan 2011
    several, mostly Garrett
    4100 times
    I went and got a pile of stuff today, I haven't even begun to go through it but there's some cool stuff for sure.... Here's some pics
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pile.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	1915419Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pile2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	1915420Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pile3.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	1915421Click image for larger version. 

Name:	probe.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	1915422Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big coil.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	1915423Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coils.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	1915424
    CASPER-2 likes this.

us

Jan 2011
    several, mostly Garrett
    4100 times
    ok, here we go with some early sorting pics.... There are a lot of coils not pictured because they don't have names on them, or they were his own home made coils... and there are more machines and parts to sort through still.... These are some highlights....

Name:	27.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	1915448Bounty Hunter 1 and 2

Name:	26.jpg 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	1915450

Name:	9.jpg 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	1915451

Name:	10.jpg 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	1915452

Name:	18.jpg 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	1915453
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	1915454  
    CASPER-2 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    21145 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddsPoint View Post
    Problem is it takes 14 AA batteries! Gary
    I know what you mean, my ADS III takes 6 - 9 volt batteries = pretty expensive for around 12 hours of active hunting.....
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    17956 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    I owned a Compass 77 also

Quote Originally Posted by NOLA_Ken View Post
    ok, here we go with some early sorting pics.... There are a lot of coils not pictured because they don't have names on them, or they were his own home made coils... and there are more machines and parts to sort through still.... These are some highlights....

Name:	27.jpg 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	1915448Bounty Hunter 1 and 2

Name:	26.jpg 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	1915450

Name:	9.jpg