Is metal detecting a dying hobby?

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I would have to say if it isn't dying it is on life support. The coins made today just don't hold up like the old coins do. The Zinc Pennies we find around here are usually so far gone you can't even turn them in for a new penny. They are just junk. So unless there is a zinc shortage I can do nothing with them.

As for finding things I think there are still places that haven't been hit. Around here most of those places are privately owned homes and property that they won't give permission to anyone to hunt. As the people that own thoses places pass on or move away a few new places open up every now and then.

I would say the days of EASY detecting are long gone. You do have to work harder at finding things but that is what I love about this hobby. I get excited about finding keys, locks, ZIPPER PULLS, etc. If you are only out for silver you are going to be dissapointed, but if you are out just to find anything made of metal then you are going to have a good time. I have started a few barrels at my house, one all aluminum goes in, the other copper and the other just plain old iron trash. I try and dig every signal even junk so the next person behind me doesn't have to deal with the canslaw or pulltabs and may have a better chance of finding that one good keeper. That is why I am not ashamed to post my clad, or my little cheap junk ring or metal whatzit. Because finding things is fun whether it's silver, gold or just plain trash.

Besides who's to say what will be a collectible in a few years time?

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go to the yard sales all the time...I have yet to see a metal detector at one here in nj..I even ask if they have any ? so far only one said yes I have one but No am not selling it...most likely just sitting in a closet collecting dust..but, if I did see one at a sale, I would jump on it...resell it for sure to feed my habit for more hunting goodies for me...

is this hobby dying...I dont think so... I think being a rookie myself ( which by the way, I have no intentions of giving up at all) but, there are lots of folks out there that think detecting is so easy.... when they realize that one it is hard work at times, depending upon soil coinditions, digging thru rocks, trapsing thru woods, filled with bugs n thorns and god knows what else, after a few times I have heard, its just too hard to do... to me that means its not in your blood.... You have to have the thrill of the adventure in your blood.. The drive to wanna go out everyday if you can, I know I wanna go out every day.... I go into withdrawl if I cant go out..then its the research, most dont feel like putting in the time to even try to research places..and even if they do, and find out they gotta go hiking so many miles or thru heavily wooded areas, they say forget it....so in all honesty, I dont think the hobby is dying, some think its a get rich quicky thing..its not..yes, some do find hoardes and absolutely fantastic finds...its all being in the right place at the right time and knowing your machine.. I dont care if 1000 detectorists hit a spot, there is always something that someone passed over or missed..

So, I will keep at it...I will find whatever I can find, and be thrilled with what I do find... all good things come to those who wait... and I shall wait and hunt and even if I do find a killer stash or item....I will be back out there getting all dirty all over again...

You have to have this fever in your blood... if not...sell your detector to someone who may seriously love doing it.. There will always be enough history for everyone to find....

just my two cents..and I love it.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Peoplw will continue to lose coins and other valued items that can be found with a metal detector....Also there were a ton of coins lost over the last few hundred years...doubt even half were recovered...a spark might be added to the hobby if detectors could go a little deeper across the board. Also higher dedomination coins such as more dollar coins and maybe some $2 and $5 dollar coins would be great! :) All I ever find is clad and once in a while a silver coin, or a piece of jewelry...but it is enough to keep me interested in the hobby... :)

badboy

Jun 28, 2006
pa
I would like to think that our hobby is progressing with lots of newbies. I'm at it for 9 years and I'm still a newbie. I have found my share of coins and I don't care if I find anything because the next time I go out it will be a bonanza of finds. Its like fishing. Some times you catch them some times you don't. Look at your hobby as fun in the outdoors and finding coins and jewelry , well that's just icing on the cake

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
I don't think this sport is dying as much as evolving, While old coins may become farther and fewer between there are so many other opportunities, like gold, jewelery, relics, meteorites etc... whats next ? Whatever form of material mankind dreams up next and calls it valuable. Maybe we'll all be using porcelain detectors in the future, who knows. It's not about what your finding as much as it is about the the hunt ! So Sally forth and tally ho, to the hunt my fellow TNetters.

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Nice post here. I think that the hobby is still growing as more folks are getting into detecting. I did it as a kid in the 70's, quit during the 80's and started again in the 90's. I guess the world is big and there is tons of lost stuff out there. It will become harder to find spots. We may need to adjust how we look for sites in the future. I'm lucky living in NH and I like to hunt the woods. There is a lot to find in places like that. I'm not a huge coin hunter as I am a relic hunter so as the modern coins rot in the ground I know that there are still relics and a few old coins out there somewhere. It just makes me appreciate my hobby more when I make a nice find.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not according to this guy ;)

P6250001.JPG

This is my next Huntin' Buddy....You only get better in time.The thrill will alway's be there and so will the find's......Never Hunted Out !!!!

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey

On the topic of a dying hobby..No not at all, in fact I think its coming back in popularity...However, it seems that rare or valuable coins are soon going to be a thing of the past. So modern coins and more recent coins will be the usual find. Just wish there were more rare coins out there.

larry

gmstreet

Jul 29, 2007
Elkins, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the Whites booklet: "25 Best-Kept Secrets to Finding Treasure"

Fact #10 There's more money lost than in circulation today.

It's a little known fact ...Throughout history more money has been lost than is currently in circulation. Think about the possibilities!
Not only could you find a sngle coin worth enough to pay for your metal detector, but it's not uncommon for hobbyists to find several
dollars a day in new, clad money!

How many hobbies actually pay you back? Metal detecting rewards you every time...in fun, exercise, and valuable treasure, too!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Personally, I think it is getting more challenging to finding places to hunt, that have not been hunted heavily, backfilled, or salted with tabs and other trash.
The detector tech is getting better and this will offset some of those issues. The newer coins having less precious metal value, I think is the worst obstacle for the future detectorist. Future detectorists will have to concentrate more on relic and cache hunting. Also as newer coins change designs, the previous designs will become scarcer and therefore more collectable from a supply demand issue, rather than for their precious metal value.

Greg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread