TIPS or SUGGESTIONS on hunting tis place.

Tencents

Jan 12, 2019
Northeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500, Garrett Apex
Minelab 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have permission to hunt this place, house built in 1850's. The problem is it's had about a foot of fill dirt added to the front yard as you can see by the foundation. Behind the house is a summer kitchen and rock house slave quarters. It's been done before is there a suggestion as how to get what the others have missed where the fill dirt is? 20210402_145837.jpg

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful old home.

I would hunt it time and time again; starting all over again (from a different angle) once I had covered each section of the yard. I would try to figure out where they ate, played, and rested (outside) when it was too hot to be indoors. I'd look for possible indentations in the ground - suggesting a large tree once stood there - and I'd hit the surrounding area very methodically. I would also target the afternoon-shaded side(s) of the house/buildings, with the assumption that people would gravitate to those areas when it was hot. I would hunt the front yard, but I'd pay far more attention to the back because that is the more likely area to see a lot of traffic. I'd search for old photographs in an effort to see if there were fruit orchards nearby - as the trees would provide shade and a snack, so it would be reasonable to expect that area would have been frequented quite a lot. Even photos from the 1950's could provide clues as they could show evidence of trees/etc.. that are no longer there today but were there in the late 1800's.

It wouldn't bother me one bit that it has been hunted previously. Nobody gets it all.

Good luck and have fun.

Last edited:

SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Set your sensitivity as high as you can stand it without driving yourself nuts, and what he /\ said up there...with the high sensitivity and a slow pace I'd dig most deep repeating signals regardless of the VDI. Fill dirt may or may not have inherent trash scattered throughout, so listen to the tones and you'll still find some stuff! Of course, this is just my take on this but don't let the fill stop you.

Sometimes you can even pull cool stuff out that came along with the fill loads!

Best of luck and let us know-

OP
OP
T

Tencents

Jan 12, 2019
Northeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the suggestions especially the orchard and the shade tips as she did say there was an orchard east of the house. Just waiting now for her to tell me she just mowed the grass she said she'd let me know when she did.

OP
OP
T

Tencents

Jan 12, 2019
Northeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never thought about the fill dirt having goodies in it. The owner showed me a carved 69 caliber bullet that she found in her garden that was an elephant done extremely well.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like they say, Low and Slow ! That will help you pick up the deeper signals.

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I frequently hunt areas that have had fill dirt. I’d start out near the building were less fill was added and work outwards. Another good clue when your digging is the change in soil. I hunt an area that is a turn of the century park and it’s been filled and landscaped many times...when ever I get a good target that takes me down into the oyster shell packed ground I get excited. The area is near the seafood industry and very close to the Gulf of Mexico, discarded oyster shells were used for everything from roads to walking paths through the park. Stick with it...patience and persistence pays off!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread