Lottery winner update, here's what we did

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many of you know about the amazing luck I had last August when I scratched a million dollar winning ticket.
It is now eight months later and since all of you were so supportive I figured I should share what we did to improve our lives.

We bought a small but beautiful home on 3.5 acres.
We added the wagon wheels and bench.

received_301611594816954.jpeg

The property is completely flat and fenced off into two one acre pastures using barbed wire and electric fence plus our 1.5 acre yard. Most of it is rural highway frontage and there is a horse ranch across the road.

We have a 34'x56' insulated pole barn with two horse stables.
A Cub Cadet ZTR with 50" deck.

received_322529065917869.jpeg

received_931355034286617.jpeg

received_3022364697996047.jpeg

We purchased a 2021 Winnebago 23' toy-hauler and a 2020 Ford F-150 twin-turbo Ecoboost with a 36 gallon fuel tank. A beast that will pull 11,100lbs.

received_755521745331222.jpeg

We also have a nice chunk of change for retirement and we each have fully funded Roth IRA accounts.

And then just last month my bride of less than two years was diagnosed with advanced lung cancer that has spread to her brain. She had a major seizure last Saturday and nearly died in my arms from choking on blood. She spent six days in the ICU intubated and in an induced coma.
I would give it all up and move back into that run-down mobile home if it could make her healthy again.

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my, sending best wishes and healing thoughts - wish I had better words.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What terribly cruel blow when your prospects looked to be on the rise. I really don't know of anything I could say to soften things for you, except that you and your wife are very much in my thoughts and I really hope that something is around the corner which brightens the horizon. With my very best wishes.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man I thought that was the coolest thing ever when you won that. (did think it was a joke at first) I was telling people at work 'hey, I know a guy that won a million dollars on a scratch off!' I was pretty stoked about it. Now hearing about your wife, all that doesn't seem important. You know everybody on here is keepin y'all in mind and hoping for the best. Bout all I can come up with, sorry.

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So sorry to hear about your wife’s condition and I know that no amount of money can replace good health. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Heart wrenching.

Hug the Mrs..
Hang in there.
If you're not familiar , look into Hospice.
They have been great with family members with cancer ,and thier/us family members that were nearly overwhelmed at times.

Nice place you acquired. I like it!

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man I thought that was the coolest thing ever when you won that. (did think it was a joke at first) I was telling people at work 'hey, I know a guy that won a million dollars on a scratch off!' I was pretty stoked about it. Now hearing about your wife, all that doesn't seem important. You know everybody on here is keepin y'all in mind and hoping for the best. Bout all I can come up with, sorry.

I remember several of you that thought it was a joke ticket :laughing7:
I soon realized that I needed to edit in a back-story.
Thanks everyone, (above and below) for the well-wishes and support.
Talking about it is quite therapeutic for me.

Barber..

Jan 15, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man up until that last paragraph I was happy for you.. That sucks pal, I truly hate that you and her are going through that..

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I really am taken a back from reading the last paragraph.
It really seemed that life had done a 180 for you and it was a happy forever type of story, but now this twist.
Kind of hard to put the right words down-so I'll wish you both the best of luck going forward.

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the good luck but sorry to hear about your wife. She's in my prayers.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you made great decisions on the new place and vehicles along with the financial plans and retirement. I am so sorry to hear about your wife's situation and condition. Thoughts and prayers are with you. May you have Strength, Peace and Comfort during both your ordeals.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cruel news GDG. I pray she recovers well and you both get to enjoy the wonderful life you've created. Beautiful home and nice toys!

OwassOkie

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If this is in the “that money doesn’t bring happiness I don’t know what is. My mother had cancer on her tongue and it spread to her brain and we nursed her at home until the very end. Me and mother and girlfriend was supposed to get married in less than four months and my mother was supposed to be there so we got married in her room they took her off the morphine and she knew what was going on and we got married with my mother and she died the next day. I would’ve traded it for $1 million dollars.

IMG_1951.jpg
my heart goes out to you and your love one more than you’ll ever know do you will definitely be in my family‘s prayer tonight. God Bless [emoji631]

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this is in the “that money doesn’t bring happiness I don’t know what is. My mother had cancer on her tongue and it spread to her brain and we nursed her at home until the very end. Me and mother and girlfriend was supposed to get married in less than four months and my mother was supposed to be there so we got married in her room they took her off the morphine and she knew what was going on and we got married with my mother and she died the next day. I would’ve traded it for $1 million dollars.

View attachment 1920547
my heart goes out to you and your love one more than you’ll ever know do you will definitely be in my family‘s prayer tonight. God Bless [emoji631]

Thank you and I am sorry for your own tragic loss.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am so sorry.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gopher..do you have anyone to lean on?

It’s very important that you do (IMHO).

Prayers to your wife that she is given strength.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread