A perfect example of detecting code of (mis) conduct

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007
Hi all, just thought I would tell you of what happened in my quest to gain permission to detect this property

This old homesite I ran across was built in 1860, 3 acres of farmland, a civil war skirmish site and also a church held it's socials there until the early 1970's.....I pulled into the drive this afternoon, clean shaven, nice button up shirt, my best cologne on, I knocked on the door and a gentleman about 80 answered the door, I made small talk and he told me the history of this home, it's been in his family ever since it was built, well, I asked him if he would mind if I detected his yard, explaining that I would gladly return any family heirlooms/jewelry etc...he said well young man, about 8 years ago I gave 2 men permission to look for coins, relics etc on my property, I was gone to florida for a week and when I returned my yard was in shambles, he said they had driven their trucks into his field and ruined his corn and tomatoes,left drink cans and trash and there were holes all over his yard, he said they even took the old license plates he had hanging on his barn. he said he was sorry but he didn't let anyone detect on his property anymore, I told him how sorry I was and that the vast majority of detectorist would never ever do what the guys had done, I told him I understand and thank you for your time and Merry Christmas. It saddens me that fellow detectorist would do this, actually it pisses me off. I make sure every hole is filled and the plug put back perfectly, I take any trash found with me and never leave my own trash and I never steal anything in,on or around a homesite etc...things that are clearly "non detecting" finds...I'm sure that this act by these two dipsticks was the talk of the town and has caused many a person to view all detectorist in a bad light and some people that may have given the O to detect their land will say no now, thanks to these two a**holes...sorry for the rant folks...but just had to tell this.....man this is a sweet spot also.....I could here the silver calling me. HH

Diggerbarns

Oct 30, 2007
I think I would wait a while and call on him again.Take some photos of yards you have detected,and show how friendly you treated the grass.Try to make him trust you just a little.Its not only Mding that is affected by dishonest people.I,m sure every one here can tell a story about how they have been ripped off.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a bunch of Aholes!!!! >:(

I think Digger's headed in the right direction. . . gain some trust, maybe send him something for the holidays with a brief note & your phone number. . . in case he has a change of heart. At least he'll know YOUR heart is in the right place.

Take care,
watercolor

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
Try to be a giver. Not just a taker, even if your a good guest. The elderly could usually use some help in some way. It's the right thing to do.

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
Sadly there are a few in every hobby/sport....hunting, fishing, trapping, boating, motorcycles, etc. They screw it up for the majority.

Prior to reading watercolors reply, the same thought crossed my mind. Take the guy a giftbasket or small ham or something, and say "I hope this somewhat makes-up for the problems you had in the past with MDers.....we're not all so irresponsible and disrespectful".

It may not get you onto his property, but might help the PR alittle....

Good Luck!
Smitty

OP
OP
R

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007
great ideas guys, maybe I'll get him one of those hickory farms deals ;D

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sucks!!! Maybe you could have the owner of a property you have searched in the past call or visit him. Just an idea.

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Or, maybe you could invite him to go on a hunt with you - at a local park or somewhere that you already have permission. It might whet his appetite to see what (if anything) is left on his property...

Well, maybe *after* the ham/Hickory Farms thing?

Still having trouble comprehending how those jerks could DO that to someone's property! Geez.

Good luck,
Nan

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about taking a small party tray and a thermos of coffee, along with some pictures of places you've hunted and some pictures of some of your finds, along with a copy of the THers Creed. Explain that most of us follow the creed. If he's interested let him try your detector on his property. Who knows you might end up with a hunting buddy!! Or even better a good friend!!!!!!!!

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Another example of good have to suffer for bad. Makes me angry just hearing about it! Hope he has a change of thought and lets you give it a shot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread