Xmas Present dilemma!!

dmac730

Nov 10, 2007
Reading, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I had left clues for my wife to buy me the Garrett Ace 250 for Xmas. I even printed out a picture and the web site where she can find it. Well, all she remembered was I wanted a metal detector, So I opened my gift this morning to find a Radio Shack Discovery 2200! I don't mean to sound ungrateful but what should I do? Is it a machine worth keeping? Is it as good as the Garrett Ace? I always assumed anything from Radio Shack would be just a toy. I'm afraid to open it because I may want to resell it on Ebay. What should I do??

Don

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
The 2200 is not a BAD machine, it'll find stuff for ya. make her happy, use it and have fun! Get an Ace or another machine in a few months when you really get the bug! ;)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are new to metal detecting you will like the 2200. If you have your heart set on an Ace 250, see if you can take it back and order an Ace. I don't think there is anything worse than not having confidence in the detector you are swinging. If you like your detector you will take it out more and learn it faster.

Good Luck,
Sandman

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
if you are new mite as well use it, if you enjoy detecting you will probally upgrade in time, wether the 2200 or the ace 250.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
question if you bought your wife clothes and she didn't like them would she exchange them? Perhaps you can just tell her that you love the detector but you want the ace for soil conditions, weight, or something else.

I was so afraid to open my gift from my hubby today. I walked into walmart the other day and front and cenrter inside the doors(where he usually gets my gifts bday christmas whatever) because its when you first walk in and close to the registers and he doesn't have to put much thought into them(i know that sounds kinda mean but its true..he is usually clueless)Anyway was a huge display of BH detectors and guess what the big box under the tree with my name on it was the same size and shape. I was thinking oh crap what the hell am I to do with this one, but then I thought well this would be good for the kids to use and at least it is something that relates to my hobby. Well I was so surprised and relieved when I unwrapped it and it was an electric drum kit. Super cool, hubby got MEGA POINTS on this gift.

Best of luck what you decide to do I love my ace but I have never used a discovery so it might be good.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
B said:
The 2200 is not a BAD machine, it'll find stuff for ya. make her happy, use it and have fun! Get an Ace or another machine in a few months when you really get the bug! ;)

Excellent advice. Making your wife happy with her gift to you is far more important right now. Make her feel like it is the bestest present of all. Use it because there's been some very nice finds posted on this site made with BHs. ( I believe the Discovery is made by Bounty Hunter. I KNOW someone will correct me if I'm wrong. ;D )
If you take the Discovery back for refund, you'll be hurting your wife's feelings. She may TELL you it's OK to do that, but her feelings will be hurt. I don't know your wife personally, but I DO know THAT much about women--and I mean that in a nice way. :) :)

OP
OP
dmac730

dmac730

Nov 10, 2007
Reading, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I am a somewhat seasoned md'er. I had a White's XLT for a couple of years and sold it when I hadn't used it in a while and I needed to payoff other pressing issues. So, I don't think I would enjoy the 2200. The price she paid for it is the same as the Ace 250 which also includes a coin probe. She'll know I returned it because her credit card will get credited. But I must do it! Thanks all!

Don

Idig4beer

Dec 23, 2007
Lebanon, oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter-Fortune Hunter
8) 8)Next time you buy the Ace 250 put your wifes name on the gift tag, and when she says "Honey I really didn't want this", you say "OK I'll take it then" problem solved !!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Holidays

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
OMG...that sounds so much like what I did...left hints, pictures, etc of a scanner I wanted, as my other one was on its last leg....and come Christmas, guess what I got?

Come on....you will NEVER guess.......not in a million years!!!!!!!!!

A BREAD MAKER!!!!!!!!! Tried to scan with it....it just didn't work ;D ;D Hubby has NOT LIVED that one down yet!!!

Yes, the bread maker is still in this house, sits in a corner in the kitchen and been used maybe 3 times (once by me and twice by him)....I don't like them, I NEVER wanted one (he did!)..I make my bread the old fashion way...in an oven!!!

The day after Christmas, I ordered my NEW SCANNER from BP Photos (think I got that name right)...from New York City...two days later, it arrived and it's still working wonderfully to this day!!!

Did I hurt his feelings? Probably. Will he get over it? Yes. Does he ask me what I want for Christmas? Yes and do I tell him what I want.... NO!!!! This way I never get dissappointed again! Do I sound Heartless? Probably...but don't ask me what I want and then get me something I have said over and over again...I DID NOT WANT!!! >:(

Sorry you did not get the one you wanted. Me personally, I would explain and get money back and use it to get the one I wanted.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas...we sure did!!! The boys were happy with all their wonderful gifts from Santa, even ME!!!! ;D

But my best gift comes in 3 weeks when my dau arrives home on leave from Guam and we will have another CHRISTMAS CELEBRATION...her presents sit under the tree waiting for her!!!

BeachComber

Greenie
Dec 25, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dmac730 said:
I had left clues for my wife to buy me the Garrett Ace 250 for Xmas. I even printed out a picture and the web site where she can find it. Well, all she remembered was I wanted a metal detector, So I opened my gift this morning to find a Radio Shack Discovery 2200! I don't mean to sound ungrateful but what should I do? Is it a machine worth keeping? Is it as good as the Garrett Ace? I always assumed anything from Radio Shack would be just a toy. I'm afraid to open it because I may want to resell it on Ebay. What should I do??

Don

That's actually the one I wanted to buy originally but couldn't find any, Radio Shack I called said there were none available in the eastern part of my state, and that it may have been discontinued. Also was "Sold Out" on website.
I then was going to get the 3300, but same problem.

Good luck with whichever one you end up with :)

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A BREAD MAKER!!!!!!!!! Tried to scan with it....it just didn't work Hubby has NOT LIVED that one down yet!!!

I think or husbands are related.

LOL I got a microwave for Valentines day...nothing was wrong with our old micro..so you get guessed it they had a display that day right when you walk into walmart. He gave it to me at work since he picked it up that morning on his way to work, and everyone gave him such a hard time that he called the florist and somehow got (i am sure way over priced flowers) delivered that day.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Open the box and then tell her you tried it and it didn't work so you have to return it. Then tape it up take it back get a refund and tell her that the salesperson at Radio Shack asked you for your name, address, phone number, blood type (anyone shoppped at a RS lately?) and made you mad so you took the refund and left and then order your ACE.

I know it sounds sneaky but you don't hurt her feelings, you make the punk at the local RS the bad guy and you win! ;)

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
txkickergirl said:
A BREAD MAKER!!!!!!!!! Tried to scan with it....it just didn't work Hubby has NOT LIVED that one down yet!!!

I think or husbands are related.

LOL I got a microwave for Valentines day...nothing was wrong with our old micro..so you get guessed it they had a display that day right when you walk into walmart. He gave it to me at work since he picked it up that morning on his way to work, and everyone gave him such a hard time that he called the florist and somehow got (i am sure way over priced flowers) delivered that day.

LMAO ;D ;D ;D...yep, they are somehow related!!!!!!!!! Men...gotta' love 'em!!! Heck, one year he told me on Christmas Day that he was going to get me a vacuum cleaner...I told him he was darn lucky he didn't!!!!!!!!! I got New Pots and Pans (which I did want!!) :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread