Old Detector: Should I upgrade??

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
I have an old metal detector - a White's Coinmaster 6000 Di.
Been gathering dust in the garage for over 20 years.
I just got it out and started hunting - found some old coins
and lots of junk.

Question:
Is it worthwhile to upgrade to a new detector?
I mean, what is new / improved in the last 20 years??
I've heard of induction pulse (?) and I wonder if the old
machine is "good enough" or should I consider a newer one.
I would really have to see a big difference in order to justify
spending 700 to 1000 bucks.
Are the cheaper one ($200) any good?
Any advice??

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
someone else will jump in here and give you advice about upgrades. My take is if the thing works, you are comfortable with you and you are finding goodies, then use it til it dies. If you want to upgrade I would save until you could afford one between the 400-600 range, cause under $200 just isn't worth it. If you can't save up, think about the ACE 250, light weight, you can add coils later, and it really easy to use and for the money it carries a good bang for your buck. There is a few others out there, but I can only tell you that I have expereience with the Ace and for me its a great little machine, especially when I want to hit the park for a quickie.

epi-hunter

Nov 1, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Did you post this at Friendly md? (metaldetectingforum.com) ?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an oldie. The new ones are faster response, better disc. & Sensitivity and lighter weight. This was my son's first detector and I think he still has it. If you are comfortable swinging an oldie but goodie, keep at it. When you save up the cash, about anyhing in the $400 to $600 range will stomp your detector to heck and back. Even the ACE 250 that was mentioned is deeper and better on batteries too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread