what`s all the buzz about?

PALEOMAN

Dec 11, 2007
COLORADO
Detector(s) used
WHITES XLT
last summer while searching a local park, i happened to luck up and see that i was surrounded by 100`s of yellow jackets! they didn`t appear aggressive but scared the ---- out of me! i don`t know why but my first reaction was to turn off my xlt then slowly back away. within about a minute they all went back to their hidey-hole about 40 ft. up a tree. has anyone had this experience or heard anything like this? by the way, there was a lake about 50 yrds. away,which was my next option!

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
I haven't had them come out of a tree before. Have dug into a bee nest in the ground several times over the years while digging up a target!

Jeff

coin finder

Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID 300
Hi, maybe it was your scent or it could be you got to close to their home and they were checking you out?

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
Yellowjackets come in two varieties, the tree dwellers (as in non meat eaters), and the ground dwellers (as in meat eaters). The ground guys are the ones that attack us with vigor. The tree dwellers are not usually very violent. If you are cooking burgers in your back yard and some of them try to run you out of there, they are the ground dwellers. Most of the time tree dwellers will leave you alone if you don't bother them, but the ground fellows will get real nasty, especially if they smell meat. Don't mess with the terra firma boys, they don't take no for an answer.

S

stefen

When camping or on a picnic we usually place a sacrificial plate of food for the bees and set it a comfortable distance away...

If MDing, turn on an older model and again, leave it some distance away... ;D

Just kidding...however the MD unit may have set up a harmonic or ultra-sound that is picked up by the bees and caused them to become defensive...

Some animals will react in a similar manner by an operating MD unit in their vicinity...

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
Yeah, those yellowjackets don't like noisey things near them, especially when someone uses their ground entry as an outdoor toilet.

Nice car Stefen.

What size engine? And is that a 1960?

My Alfa only tops out at 132, but my BMW 325e hits 145 on a good day. Both fun to drive but the Alfa corners both better and differently. Real wierd going from one to the other.

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
PALEOMAN said:
i was wondering if they can pick up something from my md?

That's what I was wonderin' too. The MD gives off a relatively low radio frequency and maybe the bees are in tune with that. (Maybe it was the mating frequency, ha, ha! - else you'd be a pin cushion.)
I wonder if they can pick up the VLF waves.

OP
OP
P

PALEOMAN

Dec 11, 2007
COLORADO
Detector(s) used
WHITES XLT
i think theres something they can pick up cause soon as i turned it off they seemed to care less about what i did. need some research.

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Don't trust the ones in the trees either. Years back I did work as a professional
tree trimmer(line clearance) for a major utility company. I have seen the ones in
trees put people in the hospital, normally they would have a guy go out early in the morning to spray their nests before they were active. They're yellowjackets
& I see no difference in their behavior. I think they were picking up something
from your MD that interested them but didn't rile them up. You did the right thing by leaving slowly.

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
Ive noticed that those little basturds love my Ace 250. I have been attacked by singles many times and one got me on the arm where the arm rest sits. Bugged the hell out of me for a week. lol. Usually I just try and kill em but I am sure it looks funny as hell when i am trying to balancing my machine and am swinging my hat and my spade all at once. LOL. TMAN...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread