Why different Coils??

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Smaller coils are more accurate in pinpointing and seperating good hits out of metal trash.

Larger coils register deeper hits.

Detectors aren't all as smart as folks assume and multiple conductive objects in the field at once can be interpreted by the internal circuits incorrectly or the first hit of the bunch will swamp the circuitry if it has a slow recovery speed.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
I would also add that the larger you go in coils, the larger the objects (smaller targets are more likely to get away). Hence, a 25inch coil will go a couple feet down, but probably won't catch a dime or even a quarter.

//never used one that big, but that's what I've heard.

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Don't waste your money on different coils. Search slowly, spend time to get to know your machine. All you need is your ears connected to your brain backed up by experience. And most important of all enjoy the search.

HH - Robert.

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.
I have Tesoro with three coils.
The 4 inch for trashy areas.
The seven Inch, for manicured lawns.
the 11 inch for construction areas, beaches, the woods.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread