thinking about hunting old homesteads/farmhouses

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
I've never really done it before, but my initial idea is to simply look at the older maps for that 'magic black square' (where the house would have been), find out who owns it now (most likely through the appraisal district, or plat map), then WRITE.
My question is, for those who do write, what is your success rate? I know that people say "show up in person", but I'm not the prettiest coin in the purse, and my natural facial characteristics, on first impression, can lead someone to stereotype me as being angry or mean (I guess you can say I've got that Mona Lisa smile, where I smile, but it doesn't look like it). SO, writing would be the best measure for me. .

Whats your success rate, and is there anything else you would recommend for hunting old homesites (getting permission wise).

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
always appeal to the owner in person, that way they know who you are and not some crackpot. also, it's harder for people to tell you no in person. when you ask be prepared to MD at that time.

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
I agree with Sniffer,

In person is best. I have had a very high success rate, doing it this way.
The last time I contacted a owner it was over the phone (not my usual way).
I thought I had found the owner, turns out it was a relation of theirs and the owner lived on a county road on the other side of town. I was short on gas, so I called him on the phone.
I told him my name, where I was from, and asked if he owned this property?
He said that he did own the property, so then I explained that I wanted to run my detector there, if he didn't mind. He said go a head :)

Just be your self, and be honest.

Timberwolf

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread