What makes it better? I need some advice.

DirkSears

Jan 14, 2008
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites M6 - Standard coil & Super 12
I bought a Whites M6 this last spring and I plan on using it through this coming year. But from reading a lot of the posts on TN I see people using DFX's, and Minelab's of all kinds. I get the feeling that I should upgrade, but I'm not sure why! I know that higher end Whites, Minelabs, Garretts, etc etc use multiple freq's to ID targets but if your supposed to dig every hit...whats the difference.

Can you guys please help and explain to me what the higher end units really do that the middle of the road models do not? If I want to get really serious about MD'ing should I upgrade (budget being no problem, within reason :))?

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i dont think you need to up grade, m-6 seems to be very capable. if not finding much, may need to research more for some better sites

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
DirkSears, from what I have read you have a good machine (M6). I have a MXT now. I had a BH 505 and I really did out grow it. I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon. My machine does what I want it to do. I could have bought a DFX but I just personally didn't like it. Nothing wrong with the DFX it just wasn't what I want in a machine. Give your M6 a chance. It is a good machine.

MD'ing is addicting and it is easy to get caught up in thinking a step up in a machine is best. :D My suggestion is....if you don't have a good pinpointer spring for a new one instead of getting another machine.

My 2 cents,
Pepper

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
You have an excellent machine. Once you start using it you will have a hard time letting it go. Allot of M6 users on the Whites forum, you should check them out.

OP
OP
DirkSears

DirkSears

Jan 14, 2008
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites M6 - Standard coil & Super 12
Thanks a lot guys and gals! I will just stick with the M6, it has been producing well for me! I just thought maybe I was missing something.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rule of thumb: don't upgrade more than once a year.

That's just chasing your tail and then you become another expert who can't use ANY machine well. You can't buy success.

The M-6 is a heck of a coin shooter. Learn to use it and maybe "upgrade" later on keeping it as a back-up. A loaner machine is GREAT when someone visits and you need to babysit the husband of a wife's friend. Or the wife of your wife's . . freind.

HAY!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get to know your M6 well and it will find goodies with the best of them. Highly recommend your adding an extra coil or two. The 4X6 shooter and the 5.3 are much better in heavy trash than the standard 9.5. The 6X10 works better in trash for the most part than the standard as well and is more effective in mineralized ground.
HH
Bill

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Everyone here has told you the truth. The M6 is a coin killer and a good all around detector. Save your money and take the little woman out to dinner.
Happy Hunting

Desertfox

TheYAK

Dec 28, 2007
Virginia Beach Virginia
Detector(s) used
M6 & Prizm III
I just got an M6 and a 5.3 about a month ago. Real coin shooter, very very happy with it! Coins ,relics,rings,etc. Work with it a few weeks and learn what its telling you and you will not want to put it down....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread