Does Flooding Bring Things To The Surface????

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Tough question. A flood would definitely loosen up the topsoil, which could move coins around depending on how deep it permeated the surface, and the flowing water across the surface would remove some soil, but this would most likely be replaced by soil brought by the water from another location.

Revo

Tenderfoot
Feb 5, 2008
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Don't know about that. Guess it is possible, since in the old days, before cemetaries required concrete vaults, caskets would occasionally float out of graves during floods. Don't know if it has something to do with a casket being designed like a boat.

After a flood, look for places where there is obvious soil erosion. The erosion may take off some depth and make objects that were once deeper more available to you.

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
Yeah that is a pretty tough question. The only reason coffins would rise to the top i would think would be because of the air inside. Now a coin on the other hand would have the opposite and it would most likely sink more. good question though. i was just merely speculating.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
flooding can cause erosion which will uncover things in the ground. doesnt really "bring them to the surface" but as long as they are on the surface, who cares how they got there! ;)

emtrescue

Dec 26, 2007
Church Hill, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
wouldn't this be like the same thing as beach erosion? if the coins are deeper than what the water washes then it would be closer to the surface (uphill portion of the flood) if the coins are located at where water settles in a pool or flows slowly (downhill portion - dirt flows with the water) the dirt/crap (literally - floods are VERY toxic - if you want to know just ask me about the flood of '98 we had) then the coins will be deeper - that is unless the coins flowed with the water and then umm toss a coin cause I dont know on that one. Would assume it's kind of like gold settling in that respect. But I'm just guessing/theorizing here.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Where I'm at (chapparel country), floods bring IN silt. Therefore, you would expect MORE topsoil (albeit maybe only 3 to 6" per flood, depending on how close to the river you were, etc...) after flooding.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems to me that targets in the areas where the soil was removed should be nearer the surface, but targets where the silt begins to settle out should get deeper. Some articles could well be washed free, moved and deposited in a new location as the current drops.
Bill

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
I remember that was a question asked when they were going to detect a portion of the Custer Battlefield. The area in question was besides the river (Custer's charge) near the Indian village. Numerous floods had occurred in the area in the last 125 years and they thought that little would be left. However, they were wrong as they found relics in abundance at the site.
What was interesting as they found a soldier's skull in the river bank which had been uncovered by river erosion.
So I guess if flooding produces erosion in the area you are searching yes- Ask any Indian artifact hunter where they search after flooding or decent rains. But if the area you are searching is not erosional but depositional the answer would be no.

George

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.
Yes...There is a little town in Venezuela, Uriman, after it rains people go into the earthen streets looking for diamonds.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Zip Zip. It depends.

My "usual" town park was under 12 feet of water two Springs ago. Since then I found a dime at 8" (measured). It was a 1986 Roosevelt! >:(

It may expose some areas through erosion but pile silt on top of other spots. Nature always balances her books.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread