Mud and dirt problem: How do you fix it?

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
What are you doing digging in the mud? :D

I have a cover that I bought for my Eagle II SL, but I really don't use it.
If it's raining....I ain't detecting ;D

Maybe they make one for your detector.

TW

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Well, I would have said Glad disposable plastic bowl covers which is what I use, however, last time to WalMart they did not have them and haven't been able to find them. To bad because they fit perfect with an elastic band that kept them on. Anytime there was a possibility of rain I would take two with me, one to fit the screen and one to fit the box, just in case. I guess they stopped making them. This is the closest thing I have found but not economical. The Glad ones were cheap and came in a variety size pack.

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/...816&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=bowl+covers

I will keep my eye open for a replacement

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
UncleVinnys,

The solution to the dirt problem is really in the way you handle the detector and digging. NEVER dig with the hand that's using the detector. It's O.K. for that hand to use a trowel or a tool if you have set the detector down but don't put that hand in the dirt. PRESTO, no more dirty detector. Joe

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an area I detect that's always very wet from a spring. I've learned to carry a towel to wipe my hands on. It just hangs in there with my apron strings. My problem wasn't so much with my detector screen as it was with taking off and putting on my headset. I got a newer headset with a longer cord to eliminate that after an earfull of mud.

I'm a dedicated right handed person....don't think I'd be comfortable digging left handed.
Al

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
oh my goodness whatta bunch of sissy boys. dirt and mud go with the territory. you might as well have asked a bunch of gardeners how to keep their pants clean. dirt and mud and all kinds of nasty yucky filthy things are part and parcel of this sport. If i bought a used detector that was perfectly clean I'd know right away that the guy i was buying from was either an amateur or so anal that he cleaned his tector after every recovery like Monk. :D :D :D

P.S. loosen up. learn to love the soil in all it's states of matter(liquid or solid)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i dont worry about dirt getting on the machine. it was designed to get dirty. just clean it off with a damp cloth when you get home.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hollowpointred said it well. Md Dog is also right dirt and mud is part of the game! :)

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
I get SO MUCH mud and dirt on my Fisher sometimes, it actually adds weight to it. LOL.
Sometimes, on really muddy days, I have to clean it off just to to make it lighter.
I swing with my left hand, and dig with my right, and I'm CONSTANTLY turning my DISC knob, to see where targets disc out at, before I dig. So the face of my machine becomes a MESS.
I just clean it every once in a while with those Armor-All wipes things.
Almost makes it look new again.

jsu

Nov 29, 2007
NE Georgia
Detector(s) used
EAGLE II, TIGERSHARK, COMPADRE , MXT
GET A COVER, THIS GUY ON EBAY SELLS THEM.THESAURUSACCESSORIES.JUST GOT A SET FOR MY MXT VERY GOOD QUALITY BEST COVER I`VE FOUND FOR IT HH

OP
OP
UncleVinnys

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
MD Dog said:
oh my goodness whatta bunch of sissy boys. dirt and mud go with the territory. you might as well have asked a bunch of gardeners how to keep their pants clean. dirt and mud and all kinds of nasty yucky filthy things are part and parcel of this sport. If i bought a used detector that was perfectly clean I'd know right away that the guy i was buying from was either an amateur or so anal that he cleaned his tector after every recovery like Monk. :D :D :D

P.S. loosen up. learn to love the soil in all it's states of matter(liquid or solid)

GREAT advice from ALL of you, but esp. you, Dog!!!
THANKS.
Yeah, love to play in the mud.
I only asked because sometimes I can't read what's on the meter,
'cause it's so muddy.
I WILL look into those cover though.

Thanks again, fellas!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread