Help!! Ive lost my marbles!

discovery_bound

Feb 4, 2008
South Dakota, B&R in Montana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Help!! I've lost my marbles!

Ok, ok, actually my grandfather lost his marbles from when he was a child. Apparently they are in the attic in my mother's house which has been a place of storage since what seems to be the beginning of time. My mom and her sisters have been going through 'stuff' up there and auctioning or ebaying alot of it off....magaizines, newspapers, WWII artifacts, toys, old oil lanterns, etc. etc. and most of it dating back to the early 1930's! Anyway, I guess my grandfather had a bag of old marbles from his youth that were clear, but had little figurines inside of them. Anyone heard of these? I hear they are worth a pretty penny and am just curious. Any info is always appreciated, thanks.

JW

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Help!! I've lost my marbles!

Hey Discovery,

type "antique marbles" in google and you will get more info than you know what to do with!

good luck and

HH

PTP

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

A fellow I used to work with was big-time into marble collecting and he was all gaa-gaa over sulphides. I guess they are very collectable.

Some types of glass marbles are swirls or spirals, onion skins or mica marbles. Usually made of clear glass, they enclose small figures of animals or other images made of a material that looks silvery through the glass. English and French manufacturers produced fine sulphide paperweights but the figures in the predominantly German sulphide marbles are somewhat cruder. Their value depends on scarcity, absence of air bubbles, size and - most of all- condition. Those made of colored glass or having colored figures are rarest and command very high prices at auction.

Nothing is going to detect them short of hands-on poking around and the Mk I Eyeball.

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

Yup, as already linked to... they're sulphides... in descent shape worth at least $75 each. Keep searching. If kept in a bag together they may have worn away some value, but still worth looking for.
This kinda' reminds me of my story of the box of military pins that was left in the attic of my folks house when they bought it i 1967... my ma got tired of us kids playing with them, leaving them on the floor, stepping on them (the pin backings), crying... so she threw them away (about 200 of them, all from WWII). I don't know if I wish I remembered just what they were or not.
I hope your outcome is more successful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread