Price-less conversation!

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
I went to the bank today and while waiting in line I overheard a conversation behind me in which an older woman was "appraising" a silver Peace dollar that the woman behind her was wearing on a bezel and chain around her neck. When she appraised at $60 I joined in as you can buy such a dollar for a hell of a lot less. But the old lady said it depended on the mint mark, etc. I asked her how she knew so much and she said that her husband left her his coin collection which she has had for 20 years. I didn't let on right away that I was a detectorist but every time I mentioned something she had a ready answer. She said she had lots of mint sets, tons of pennies, silver coins, and coins going to the 1700s! But no gold coins.

I wanted to ask her if I could accompany her home so I could get a gander at the goodies but I didn't want to be so forward. I asked her about selling the collection and she mentioned Stack's but she didn't specify whether they were not interested and for what reason. I mentioned eB.. but she complained that the person taking photos of the coins was not getting good photos. And on and on the conversation went until it was my turn at a teller and we said goodbye.

But before I exited the bank I started thinking about not letting this "golden" opportunity pass without my making at least an effort. So I waited at the customer counter for her and I asked her for a few minutes of her time. I already had a business card in my hand and I showed her my Canon S3IS 6megapixel digital camera to impress her mentioning that some of my photos on eB.. had gotten compliments.

It was left up in the air whether she was going to call me to let me peruse her collection and taking test photos to show her and I asked if she had a computer with a card reader, etc.

That was it and am glad I made the attempt instead of not and being sorry later. I'll keep you all posted if she calls and I'll post photos of those 1700s CLEAN coins!

Ye Olde Silver Fox

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread