Has anyone had experience with local historical societies in doing this?

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the past few months, I've been visiting some of the libraries and local historical societies in my area and have completed my research on a few potential sites that are rather promising. And now, the harsh reality of being refused permission to hunt these sites is starting to set in. The public ordinances pertaining to the use of metal detectors in my area are somewhat vague and it's easier for the person you're asking permission from, just to say "NO".

The most promising site that I wish to hunt is publicly-owned and maintained by an on-site property manager and from research, seems fairly rich in local history. Since I have no problems with donating/loaning finds that may be relevant to this area's history, I'm thinking that maybe a "letter of introduction" (something I could easily carry with me) from the local historical society would be beneficial when asking permission.

Any of your thoughts or ideas on this would be greatly appreciated. . . Thanks,
watercolor

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Most "local" historical societies are
bad news.

You must be a local and in their clique.

But they do love showing their knowledge ;D; (never
suggest they may be wrong ::)). Take from
them what you can use. Play you cards close
to your chest. 8)

have a good un...
SHERMANVILLE

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, for starter's most (but not all) historical societies are more likely to say no than yes. A way around this is to JOIN your local historical society. Get to know them and participate. Do you have tokens from local businesses? Donate them! I have donated finds to my county historical society such as tokens and GAR encampment items and other things specifically relevant to the area's history. If you take an active part in it, you will be less likely to be looked down upon for your hobby. Keep the coins, of course, but donate anything that can be identified with the local history. EVEN if it's worth money, I might add.

I also saw your mention of the word "vague" as applied to detecting ordinances. Don't go and ask the historic society. Instead, try asking either the city manager, or the DPW manager. They are the ones in charge of public property NOT the historic society! Make darn sure that you stress the code of ethics and explain and demonstrate, if possible, a proper recovery. I've had NO PROBLEM with obtaining permission this way in an area with vague detecting rules.

Hope this helps....

-SgtSki

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to agree with SgtSki.

When we moved here last year, we knew there was a lot of history here, and there is a park here that Teddy Roosevelt visited more than a few times. It used to be "the" meeting place of the high societies, and a rail hub, and all sorts of history is in the area.

We could not WAIT to detect it. We went to our city hall and talked to them (after looking at what the local museum had), and we explained what we do and would like to do. They said we were the only people who ever asked, we personally assured them that there would be NO leftover holes, and that if we found anything of historical significance, we would let them know. (they were not interested in rings or coins as being significant). We have found coins, etc., and a few other articles (some we cannot identify), but we also have found some old railroad items, which we are donating to the museum.

That was last year, and a week or so ago, I stopped at City Hall to license the dog, and they asked us when we were going to start detecting again, now that the frost was out of the ground.

I think it is going to be a good relationship.

B

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the others. If you can't beat'em, join'em.

Last year out local historical society ask our club if we would be interested in speaking at a meeting. I jumped on it like a fat kid on cake.

They wanted us to show some of the stuff we had found, which had me nervous, and talk about local buried treasure tales. It went very well, and we even had several members of the society as us to come search a few places.

OP
OP
watercolor

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone, I appreciate all your comments and advice. . . when "P-Day" (permission day) is implemented for this site, I'll let you know what happens. . . I'll polish my boots, comb my hair, borrow the wife's Lexus. . . and "git er done" ;)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Watercolor, I find some revealing info. in the very words you use. Your text tells why you may be getting "no's".

To start with, you say: "The public ordinances pertaining to the use of metal detectors in my area are somewhat vague " Sounds to me like it's a typical city where there is really nothing addressing detecting, per se (silent on the issue), but depending on how you word the question, ANYONE can come up with something they think applies (like "don't disturb the vegetation" or some other such nonsense). Very rarely is the subject addressed specifically anywhere.

Next you say: "..... the person you're asking permission from ....... " There is where you're going wrong. You shouldn't "ask for permission". Because, the minute you do that, you've already lost the battle. That only casts aspursions on you, or your hobby, that you, or it, are somehow evil enough, that you had to ask, to begin with. Instead, ask in this way: "Is there anything codes or regulations that says anything about metal detecting?". See the difference? The latter puts the ball in their court to produce something specific, already written. This is very different from asking "can I metal detect in your park pleeeassee oh please mr. bureaucrat?"

This is only for if you're skittish, and feel the need to do even this. Personally, any park that isn't an obvious historical monument, and isn't posted, I just go.

OP
OP
watercolor

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
Watercolor, I find some revealing info. in the very words you use. Your text tells why you may be getting "no's".

To start with, you say: "The public ordinances pertaining to the use of metal detectors in my area are somewhat vague " Sounds to me like it's a typical city where there is really nothing addressing detecting, per se (silent on the issue), but depending on how you word the question, ANYONE can come up with something they think applies (like "don't disturb the vegetation" or some other such nonsense). Very rarely is the subject addressed specifically anywhere.

Next you say: "..... the person you're asking permission from ....... " There is where you're going wrong. You shouldn't "ask for permission". Because, the minute you do that, you've already lost the battle. That only casts aspursions on you, or your hobby, that you, or it, are somehow evil enough, that you had to ask, to begin with. Instead, ask in this way: "Is there anything codes or regulations that says anything about metal detecting?". See the difference? The latter puts the ball in their court to produce something specific, already written. This is very different from asking "can I metal detect in your park pleeeassee oh please mr. bureaucrat?"

This is only for if you're skittish, and feel the need to do even this. Personally, any park that isn't an obvious historical monument, and isn't posted, I just go.

The more I think about this, the more logical this sounds. . . thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread