How to get into construction sites

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
I wrote the following as a magazine article back in the '90s and it was published. It's information that is still useful.

Some of you may have tried to get into a construction site and were turned away because of the heavy equipment in the area and because the foreman thought the area was unsafe for the inexperienced and they were concerned about liability. I got around these restrictions with a simple solution: I arrived at the construction site wearing a hard (OSHA) hat that I bought in a local thrift store for a couple of dollars and with an air of " confident experience." By doing so, I showed the foreman that I was aware and was concerned. So, after thinking it over for just a few moments he gave me permission to be in the area during lunchtime when the equipment was at rest. That meant an hour of roaming around selecting where to detect.

The hat also came in handy when I noticed that Madison Square Park in NYC was undergoing renovation and the park was closed off with a chicken wire fence all around. The foreman happened to be a THer also and he didn't think twice about letting me into the worked over grounds.

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used the hard hat and on occassion an orange vest to hunt public roads under construction. Even had a city truck drive by a few times and not even stop. Started this after got kicked out of a 20' run of freshly removed sidewalks. It stays in truck with the MD at all times
Nice article... 8)

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup: wohoooo thank you..... guess whose getting a hard hat??? :wav:

thank you

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks Rob, I got the orange vest already... am good to go now.. hubby's bringing me home a hardhat from work...

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
bootybay said:
thanks Rob, I got the orange vest already... am good to go now.. hubby's bringing me home a hardhat from work...

Sure... and if you don't want to be bothered. A shirt that says "bomb squad" works well too !!!! :whip2:

OP
OP
Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
I stressed a positive, experienced attitude when approaching construction sites and speaking with foreman. Here is how I used a positive, experienced attitude although it was my first time.

In Pasadena, California, a hotel was being renovated or demolished, I don't remember which. I didn't know that construction work was going so it was news to me when I arrived at the site. I was interested in the site because in my research I learned that the hotel was used during WWII to house soldiers. When I arrived at the site I saw that in addition to the main, tall building there were bungalows and you could see buttcans still attached to some of the structures. I started salivating.

But, the bungalows were fenced off although no work was being perfomed. It was off limits. However, when I arrived the first time I noticed a couple of Air Force officers talking to what I assumed was the job foreman. I hit upon an idea and the next day put it to use. I got my hard hat and went to the site. I approached the same guy I thought was the foreman and he was. I told him that I had spoken to 2 Air Force officers who were assigned to the area and they had given me permission to hunt the area, particularly the bungalows, as long as the foreman agreed. In light of such recommendation, the foreman agreed to allow me on the grounds. I walked over to one of the idle heavy diggers and under an 1/8th inch of dirt found a Barber dime, my first old coin. That was it! Nothing in the bungalows area.

Of course, I impressed myself with my quick and effective thinking.

Like I said, showing confidence in yourself also impresses those you are dealing with and makes it easier to be successful in being allowed where no one else would be. If you're timid and unsure that'll telegraph itself and affect the authority's decision.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Silverfox, your last paragraph says it all. It's 99% bluff psychology. If you walk up and ask "uhhhhh, exuse me sir, can metal detect at your demolition site?" you're bound to get a "no". But if you walk up like you own the place, and since "the guy with the blue shirt said it was ok, d/t I own the property next door" (or whatever), you'll not be bothered. Reminds me of a guy I knew in Jr. College, who told me then that he routinely got into bars anywhere in town, and was never bothered (drinking age is 21 here). I assumed he had fake ID or something. He says to me "nah, just walk right in like you own the place, and the bouncers never check you. It's only if you act like you're trying to evade them, that they check you".

Tavis

Feb 6, 2008
Silver Fox said:
I stressed a positive, experienced attitude when approaching construction sites and speaking with foreman. Here is how I used a positive, experienced attitude although it was my first time.

In Pasadena, California, a hotel was being renovated or demolished, I don't remember which. I didn't know that construction work was going so it was news to me when I arrived at the site. I was interested in the site because in my research I learned that the hotel was used during WWII to house soldiers. When I arrived at the site I saw that in addition to the main, tall building there were bungalows and you could see buttcans still attached to some of the structures. I started salivating.

But, the bungalows were fenced off although no work was being perfomed. It was off limits. However, when I arrived the first time I noticed a couple of Air Force officers talking to what I assumed was the job foreman. I hit upon an idea and the next day put it to use. I got my hard hat and went to the site. I approached the same guy I thought was the foreman and he was. I told him that I had spoken to 2 Air Force officers who were assigned to the area and they had given me permission to hunt the area, particularly the bungalows, as long as the foreman agreed. In light of such recommendation, the foreman agreed to allow me on the grounds. I walked over to one of the idle heavy diggers and under an 1/8th inch of dirt found a Barber dime, my first old coin. That was it! Nothing in the bungalows area.

Of course, I impressed myself with my quick and effective thinking.

Like I said, showing confidence in yourself also impresses those you are dealing with and makes it easier to be successful in being allowed where no one else would be. If you're timid and unsure that'll telegraph itself and affect the authority's decision.

No offense, but I don't think this was a very good idea. Yeah, you got to detect there, but if the foreman had checked with the officers, he would have thrown you out, and you'd have gotten a bad reputation, not to mention giving all the rest of us dectorists a bed rep as well.

TheYAK

Dec 28, 2007
Virginia Beach Virginia
Detector(s) used
M6 & Prizm III
I have a much easier way, I work at a construction company so when I go out to the job sites to setup wireless internet cams I just tell my boss I'll be MDing. He has no problem with it !
You need:
hardhat
vest
safety glasses
leather hard sole shoes/boots
Nothing great so far but CW stuff....

OP
OP
Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Tavis said:
No offense, but I don't think this was a very good idea. Yeah, you got to detect there, but if the foreman had checked with the officers, he would have thrown you out, and you'd have gotten a bad reputation, not to mention giving all the rest of us dectorists a bed rep as well.
Not offended and you stress a point well taken. But you have to think outside of the box. When I arrived the next day I looked for that Air Force official car and I didn't see it so I proceeded. If I had seen the car I might have approached whoever arrived in it and tried to reason with them. If they had arrived while I was in the construction area the foreman could have mentioned me and I could have been ejected for which I was constantly looking out for. The foreman might not have mentioned me. As it turned out, the officers did not return while I was there.

As for "reputation" ... How would I have gotten a bad reputation? With who? I was a loner.

If I had been asked to leave the construction area, how would that have affected any other detectorist in the world? It was a single event and would not have projected beyond the immediate area. I didn't see any other detectorists while I was there and the foreman did not mention attempts by other detectorists.

I'm only sorry that my solution did not result in lots of silver goodies. I was brilliant but "pennyless"! Except for that Barber dime, wowee!

Nobody else really suffers due to the action of an individual and if someone else suffers due to that individual it must have been due to doing something really horrendous. Attempting to enter an area that's normally off limits is just using your brain properly as long as you are a careful individual and do not end up jeopardizing anyone else.

There is a big difference between my "little white lie" and ex-President Nixon's lying which affected a country and, possibly, the world. I didn't affect anyone or anything.

konnon6

Feb 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
homemade/whites DFX/MinlabGP3000/Garret 250
Ya that's all fine and dandy, but when the sheriff show up and arrest you for treaspassing whip out your official treasure hunting permit and tell them I have permission! Then tell them that the owner's out of town and you were told by him to hunt for that crazy rabbit that keeps digging holes here and eating all the carrouts.
I got a nice room and three meals a day and all kinds of attention LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread