A source for historical information

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
As always, I can't claim I discovered this source as someone else here may have done so first. But just in case...

I acquired some historical papers belonging once to a prominent upper New York state patriarch. In doing research on this person I eventually came to www.books.google.com and found 4 historical books mentioning the person. The books were written in contemporary times and google had digitized these books so the info contained is unimpeachable or corrupted by modern copying.

When you get one of these google pages on the book you are researching additional info is shown on the right side of the screen. The titles shown there associated with the book I was looking at gave me an idea. I typed in the search box: "revolutionary war" and lo and behold, the sources that came up included books from the war period! I'm looking at one right now titled: "General John Sullivan's Indian Expedition. 1779." Titled inside: Journals of the Military Expedition of Major General John Sullivan Against the Six Nations of Indians in 1779 with Records of Centennial Celebrations ... "

It starts with the book's original cover which is a sight in itself. Can you believe what this book must contain? Obviously, for us detectorists, the information is priceless as I'm sure they mention where the troops camped, etc. And the mention of the celebrations must include what went on as far as attending crowds, events, etc. This info is so valuable that I'm going to read all of the book's almost 500 pages! And then, possibly, I may take a trip upstate and see what develops.

So, when you go to www.books.googlecom type in the subject you want to research maybe near you or you just want to travel mentally, whatever, you'll be most pleasantly rewarded.

Silver Fox

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He went right through here and met up with Gen. Clinton a few miles away (now the town of "Union" where they joined up on the way to Newton). "Castle Creek" outside of Binghamton is named for an "Indian Castle" that was destroyed. Castle - aka three log & bark wigwams full of pumpkins and cowering women & children. I used to live 60 ft from the Chenango River that one of the companies scouted out.

Near as I can tell they never dropped anything. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread