Searching for meteorites - have you found any?

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Not being able to use the Search function I'm wondering if this topic has been discussed. If it has, supply the link. If it hasn't, let's talk.

I watch astronomy documentaries and sometimes they'll show meteorite hunters. Some just walk around and find surface meteorites. But some use metal detectors from the handheld to rigs mounted behind vehicles that scan a large surface area at speed. One guy specializes in using metal detectors and sometimes uses a motorized glider to see a larger area where there might be indicators seen from above. He has quite a collection possibly worth a lot of high thousands. The astronomers do it for the knowledge they gain from the complete meteorite and the guy with the museum slices and dices them and their interiors are just beautiful.

I'd like to look for meteorites but I'm never going to find myself in the desert although one never knows if a meteorite could be found in a park. Have any of you, usually out in the desert, found any surface and or/deep meteorites? And if you have, how have you processed them? Did you sell them outright or did you break them up for multiple sales? Got any photos?

Silver Fox

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My EX Bud found a 22 pounder...........He was a miser and sold it for $5,000 dollars :wink:

Mick93

Feb 27, 2008
MidWest
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I found this one in AZ. I was just hunting for nuggets and started getting hard hits on these rocks. I figured hotrocks ,, didn't even think of meteorite. I know I checked out 4 or 5 and all in this one area and no where else.So finally picked one up and stuck it in my pocket. Took it home ,mentioned it to my wife and threw it in a junk box . I was going through the junk one day with a friend and pulled it out , he took one look and said meteorite ! It was real heavy, took it to shop and stuck right to a magnet, ground a small place and it was shiny and looked just like metal. So I think I could find the spot again if I ever get back out there but not for sure , its a big desert !

jan08021.jpg

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mick93 said:
I found this one in AZ. I was just hunting for nuggets and started getting hard hits on these rocks. I figured hotrocks ,, didn't even think of meteorite. I know I checked out 4 or 5 and all in this one area and no where else.So finally picked one up and stuck it in my pocket. Took it home ,mentioned it to my wife and threw it in a junk box . I was going through the junk one day with a friend and pulled it out , he took one look and said meteorite ! It was real heavy, took it to shop and stuck right to a magnet, ground a small place and it was shiny and looked just like metal. So I think I could find the spot again if I ever get back out there but not for sure , its a big desert !

jan08021.jpg

The 22 pounder was found in Virginia.

OP
OP
Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Mick93 said:

jan08021.jpg
That's a real nice looking rock. Have you ever had it valued? The ones you left behind could bring you a nice amount of change enough to pay for the trip and effort a few times over. And, in the process, you might locate more. If I was visiting any of those western states I'd make an effort to spend a few days walking around desert areas with my detector. For that trip I might even borrow or rent a large coil although they've shown on TV that not all hand-size meteorites are buried deep. In the documentary the other day they showed the hunters finding a 1,500-pounder but they needed a backhoe to dig a hole that was about 10 feet deep. They priced it at about 1 million dollars.

If you want to sell yours, find out the best method whether one-piece or sliced. If it's bought one-piece the buyer might slice it and make a larger profit. Yours could be worth a couple of thou.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread