I AM FED UP!!! Time to upgrade!!! ***please read and give me your opinion***

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
you have mentioned some really great machines. if it were my money (which it aint) and i was looking for brutal depth for coin hunting i would get an explorer (either SE, XS OR 2........all of them go deep). second choice, maybe a tesoro ( side note... just because they are ugly is a terrible reason to discount these machines. :wink: they have the reputation they have for a reason). the Whites DFX is a heavy weight as well.

wegodig

Apr 21, 2008
Greetings, I am "wegodig" This is first time posting on this forum. I followed this entire string and I also have problems with the dissapearing or "running" penny. I didn't see anyone address this isue. Where did the penny go???? This happens a lot for me!!!

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I'm sorry to hear you are having a time with your BH....I never used one, so I can't give you any advice on it.

I'm with Midwest Hillbilly...I too, use an Ace 250 and I love it...hubby has the Minelab Exp II and I too, can dance around him when it comes to finding coins and jewelry....but (ahem, can't believe I am going to say this....) he's understanding his machine much better and learning the signals, etc...and soon the "challenge" will begin!!!! :tard: I remember going over the same spots as him when we first started and all the money holes I got that he missed,..... :icon_sunny:

I hope whatever decision you make, it will be a good one for you..... :icon_pirat:

And Thank You for your service! :thumbsup:
Happy Hunting,
Annmarie
PS: just a note to say, when I first starting using my machine, I got fustrated alot, because I couldn't find anything....I just had to really learn my machine and test signals and all....and I love to detect after the rain....the signals come up great! Good Luck!

scrapdoggie

Nov 23, 2007
Deland Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace250 Pro-Kellyco
Re: I AM FED UP!!! Time to upgrade!!! ***please read and give me your opinion**

ashleysflyr said:
Montana Jim said:
ashleysflyr said:
Thanks a lot MJ. With your 505 have you ever had the problem of the running penny? I have had it with a few diff zinc penny, regular penny/dime, and even quarter signals...and have you had probs with the all metal mode completely desensitizing while you dig, and then not able to scan your plug w/o ressetting the all metal mode? Thanks again!
I cant find silver with my Ace250 yet either.I was getting really discouraged untill i saw all the silver and gold others were getting with the same machine.I believe im just searching areas with no silver rather then my machine sucking...keep at it and good luck
~Tom

I never use "All Metal Mode"

I always use some discrimination... even if just a little, and usually it's just a little.

Running penny? You mean you keep chasing the target around never seeming to be able to pinpoint it?

Most of the time I can pin point with accuracy enough to use my index finger and poke it into the ground to retrieve the coin. Today, I chased a few coin signals. I get a solid hit, pinpoint like I usually do, and dig, nothing in the plug or the hole, but there is...let's say, on the right side. So I dig a new plug on the right side. I check the plug, and nothing. So I check the hole, nothing is there, then I check the side, and there is another signal on the right side of the new hole. So I dig yet another plug, and the same thing. After I have dug over a foot wide elliptical hole, the signal disappears, leaving me bewildered. It happened to me 4 times today (my last day with this detector) and I lost my mind.
When I said all metal I meant pinpoint all metal. Sorry for the confusion.
I have buried a dime at 5 and 6 inches, in an area I thouroughly cleaned of all signals. Both times the clad dime read as everything from nickle to pull tabs, to pennys/dimes, to halves at all depths. That is really discouraging. I have watched someones video of them diggin a dime at 6 inches with a White's, and it told him it was a dime. His was clad as well. I just don't get why I have hunted 8 sites (one extremely thouroughly, the rest several times), all 1920's to 1880's and never dug a silver (save for one quarter at 8 inches that read as I previously mentioned and one 1943 nickle at 4 inches). I understand that some places just don't have silver, but why have I never dug a dime deeper than 3 inches? I have taken the "dig everything" approach, and the dig repeatable signals approach, and even the spend hours clearing out all signals with the 4 inch, and more with the 8 inch approach (at the 1880's farm house, in about a 15 foot by 15 foot area) and have had meager success. Don't get me wrong, I am greatful for the finds I have found, but I see some people in nearby small town Indiana and small town Iowa, and even St. Louis digging awesome finds on a daily basis. I have done my research and my fair share of asking for permission, and have access to a lot of GREAT places, I just feel that I am not making the finds I could make or the finds I see others making.
I had better quit before I start whining, I am just trying to figure out why I have to TRY and try hard for a penny at 5 to 6 inches (that reads from pull tab to S Cap to zinc, to penny). And I want to know if anyone with these white machines are having the same or similar problems with theirs.

~Tom

OP
OP
ashleysflyr

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
Montana Jim said:
ashleysflyr said:
Thanks a lot everyone, just about decision time!!!

~Tom

And (Drum roll please...) the winner is?

White's MXT!!! Ordered it Saturday, and it should be here Wednesday! Keep looking for a post on here witha title reffering to hunting my hunted out yard with my new MXT...a side by side comparrison to the BH!

~Tom

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
In the event to get another MD in the future; don't let tesoro fool you.... they are well built In the US and and can hit a gold stud at 5-6 inches.
when i search up in the mountain i use my detector to search the sides of cliffs where i have found plenty and tesoro is light enough for me to do so. try that with a white for any long period of time.used MD only if the warranty is still good. :icon_pirat:
Rob

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol....any detector will find metal...lol you have to learn the machine...which ever one you have... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
as a former owner of the bh 505 i can tell you the machine is not as good as the bh xl even thought the price is about 120 more
i went to the garret 1500 last year and now use an explorer both machines out preform any bh i have come up against
the gti has great target deep reading but using the vdi really helps avoid digging junk (i still dig junk but i know its junk before i dig)

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XLT is a good machine. I,ve had mine going 10 years strong. However There has been weeks to months with no keepers. So I guess it's finding the spot.

P.S my boo
I did not read all the posts! MXT you ordered, hows that working out?

Good Luck.

Nova

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions