My Practice Garden Was a BAD IDEA (Pics) and Valuable lesson

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forget the VLF tech. mcnickel,

Use a PI machine to locate the 3 cent piece,

If you can get your hands on the new Infinium LS from Garrett, (borrow, rent, etc.)

it will find the coin,

it will find dimes at 18 inches with a stock coil, (so it should find a 3 cent piece easily at 14 to 16 inches).

There's NOTHING like the PI machines when it comes to "depth" no matter what coil you stick on a VLF machine AND there's no comparrsion in the "sensitivity" either (which allows the PI to see "all" metals, and no matter how small). They find BB size targets at 12 inches or more.

I dug a rusted beer can (top only) in the sand at 3 feet deep (stock coil) with the PI machine I used to own,

there's NO VLF machine out there that can even come close to that..

johny mc.

May 18, 2005
He wants to find the coins he buried not every piece of metal in the county...lol...lol.................................
heck just go in with the back hoe.........you always wanted a pool didn't you.........aloha

Attachments

• P1010151.JPG
    P1010151.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 941

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
McEtrak said:
About 7 years ago I made a metal detecting practice garden..........

I buried mostly coins that I had found except one....a 3 cent pc. purchased at a flea market for $9.

I carefully measured the depth along a string line, from the last step on my porch and seeded another part of the yard along the line from the corner of where my dining room is to one of two or three posts on the back fence.

Carefully drawing a sketch in my old High School Notebook as to where I placed the string line....where my measurements were to be taken from.....what coin at what angle, and what depth were all sketched carefully in my old High school notebook.

The notebook was lost, and I had no copies.

I now know I buried every thing too deep...7 inches was the shallowest, and that was the 3 cent piece, mercury dimes were buried on an angle at 8-9 inches, McBuffalo's at 8-10 inches, and a couple of Saskwatch dollars on edge at 8-10 inches.

I thought it was going to be good practice for those deep signals.....but uh......NOPE...

Well guess what? I got carried away burying them too deep. I figured a couple of years, and the halo effect would take over, and I could then get some good practice .....NOT! My detector couldn't find my targets, and my test garden map was lost.

Oh yes....the moral to the story is that no matter if you bury the test targets shallow or DEEP: Always record the measurements including depth, coin value, year, etc. and BE SURE to make SEVERAL copies of this record! ............Anyone else have trouble locating the stuff YOU BURIED ?
PracticeGarden.jpg

This candid 2005 post by McEtrak was valuable. I took the liberty of cleaning up the grammar and readability, as it was a good lesson for all of us!

Thank you McTrak!

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Too bad about that. I had my DD214 copied , certified and put up in the court house when I retired. That will be some trouble getting that, won't it??

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goober said:
rent a sod cutter, manual or gas will work. Takes the top three inches off, should get you deep enough with md and you can just replace the sod when your done. :thumbsup:

Great solution for this predicament!

:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread